Go Back   WowAce Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-14-2008   #1
neoaeon

Default Front Page wowace Transistion/WAU info Please!

There are about 4.5hrs remaining before 3.0.2 servers come back up, and wowace's main public facing portal says nothing about the Curse transition to the average user.

The only messages posted there seem to be infrastructure SIT REPs with addon authors as the intended recipients, with some ambiguity about forums on layaway.

Digging through the forums looking for a semblance of information let alone guidance is difficult and time consuming. And I've been watching for a month now.

Please, do your users a favor and put something up on the front page for the confused and beleaguered who are going to start showing up soon looking for information and guidance.

Even Liabcoms' terse yet veracious FAQ is something; http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=14404

What ever it is, please keep in mind your audience. They've been using WAU and Ace plugins for awhile and they just want to get back to playing WoW with their favorite addons.
neoaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #2
DarkAudit

Default Re: Front Page wowace Transistion/WAU info Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoaeon View Post
What ever it is, please keep in mind your audience. They've been using WAU and Ace plugins for awhile and they just want to get back to playing WoW with their favorite addons.
To be honest, you and I aren't their audience. The real WowAce audience is and always has been the addon developers, not your run-of-the-mill end user.

We were always meant to use the established download sites like curse or WowInterface. Coming to depend on WAU and files.wowace.com was a mistake on all sides. The users are just going to have to come to grips with the fact that the situation became untenable, and the change was for the benefit of the devs, not us.
DarkAudit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #3
neoaeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAudit View Post
To be honest, you and I aren't their audience. The real WowAce audience is and always has been the addon developers, not your run-of-the-mill end user.

We were always meant to use the established download sites like curse or WowInterface. Coming to depend on WAU and files.wowace.com was a mistake on all sides. The users are just going to have to come to grips with the fact that the situation became untenable, and the change was for the benefit of the devs, not us.
Understood, but tell them. When WAU breaks, a lot of people are going to come to WoWAce.com and see, nothing. They might google "WTF happened to Ace/WAU etc" and get that lovely "WTF just happened" thread full of entitlement and elitism. When you hit the forums, there's a section for "Updaters", which is where I would go first, and there's no information there. Or Announcements, where there's still no information. Or Site Issues and Suggestions which takes you to a CurseForge Bugzilla thing. Anything that makes sense to check has zero information, It's all buried (more or less) in General Chat.

I'm not advocating that the direction changes, just that everyone accept that it DID become a user oriented culture, and that those users (half a million by Kaelten's estimate) be told what is going on, and what to do about it.

Edit 1: Elaborated on Updaters/Announcements/Issues forum groups.

Last edited by neoaeon; 10-14-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2008   #4
syrupk

Curse does not flag wotlk addons and wowi doesn't have updated versions. It would nice to have a note on the front page.
syrupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #5
Allara

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupk View Post
Curse does not flag wotlk addons and wowi doesn't have updated versions. It would nice to have a note on the front page.
Curse flags 3.0.2 add-ons, which is the same as WotLK for all intents and purposes. What did you mean?

I agree with the OP that a front page notice should be done.
Allara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #6
Kaelten
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Kaelten Send a message via MSN to Kaelten Send a message via Yahoo to Kaelten

I will be having front page notices etc. dont' worry.
Kaelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #7
neoaeon

Thank you Kael .

1hr 45mn remaining.
Old 10-14-2008   #8
syrupk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allara View Post
Curse flags 3.0.2 add-ons, which is the same as WotLK for all intents and purposes. What did you mean?

I agree with the OP that a front page notice should be done.
I must have missed this because I didn't see any. My apologies.
Old 10-14-2008   #9
MoonWitch
Demonic Enforcer

On the project's page, (at least here on wowace) in the right hand pane, it will tell you with which version of wow it works.
MoonWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #10
syrupk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
On the project's page, (at least here on wowace) in the right hand pane, it will tell you with which version of wow it works.
Wow I must be blind, sorry guys.