Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 11-06-2008   #1
dhedbor

Default Magic Runes - A Death Knight Addon

Magic Runes is in early development. It's currently a fully functional rune cooldown addon displaying a bar for each rune. The addon utilizes LibBars-1.0 for its display.

Some current features:
  • Configurable looks: icon toggle, label toggle, timer toggle, font and font size toggles, bar texture and colors (for each of the 4 runes).
  • Customizable size and orientation.
  • SharedMedia and LDB support.
  • Many sorting options - rune slot (i.e always rune 1 to 6), rune type (I.e BFUD) and time, rune type and reverse time, time and rune type, reverse time and rune type. You can also reverse the order giving a total of 10 options.
Other possible plans:
  • Configurable growth direction (choose between remaining time or duration passed)
  • Considering movable icons as a display option.
  • Runic Power bar.
  • Alerts for things procs like Sudden Doom.
  • Audible, textual or other alerts when the runic bar is (about to?) get full or rune cooldowns finish.

I'm looking for suggestion and ideas of what to add. Obviously due to the limited time until the expansion (not to mention the current lack of DK's to test with) it's unlikely to be feature complete before next week. As I will be busy leveling my own DK anything not done in by next week will have to wait. Most likely things like proc notifications will be lower on the list, especially since addons such as MikScrollingBattleText can provide notification for such events.

My main goal is to get a solid rune display done before WotLK.

Last edited by dhedbor; 11-06-2008 at 07:27 AM.
dhedbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #2
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme
Default Re: Magic Runes - A Death Knight Addon

Sorry, posted this in the Curse comments before I noticed the WowAce forums link. Doh! Anyhow...

Not sure if you've come across the Elitist Jerks DK UI discussion: http://elitistjerks.com/f32/t36078-d...er/#post965033

And this is a "favourite" add-on mentioned on the EJ DK DPS thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t36303-d...ps_compendium/
Grats!

Anyhow, as per the UI discussion, I think it would be awesome if we could optionally make the bars somewhat transparent until the time remaining was less than a GCD. That way we'd know that a rune was about to become available and there wouldn't be any time to use another ability. It's probably worth actually measuring the GCD somehow, but initially just assuming 1.0 seconds for Unholy Presence and 1.5 otherwise would be ample.

Definitely my preferred rune add-on. Love it.

EDIT: There are other ways to mark the GCD. You could just have a line running across the bars so we'd know when the bars crossed that threshold (not especially easy to notice, however). You could do the transparent thing above, but in reverse (transparent = wait for rune).

Last edited by jokeyrhyme; 11-08-2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: other suggestions
jokeyrhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #3
dhedbor

Cool! Yes, various settings to fade the bars is definitely on my mind. I didn't consider fading them out until shortly after the runes become active but that's definitely an option to look at. I believe you can discover the gcd by looking at the cooldown of a spell that has no other cooldown. That is how Quartz does it for example.

I'll experiment with more time-based displays over the weekend. I want to get as much stuff as I can in here before WotLK hits while still ensuring it isn't buggy so we'll see how much I get in there
Old 11-08-2008   #4
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme

Hehe, another suggestion. Please feel free to tell me where to stick my suggestions. :P

So I've just got these 6 bars sitting on my interface all the time. I like them, but it's not really necessary to have them visible all the time. Any chance we could get the bars to become invisible if we aren't in combat and they are ready to go? This is a setting I've noticed all the HUD add-ons have. That way we only see them when it's actually important to do so.
Old 11-08-2008   #5
dhedbor

It's indeed a planned feature.
Old 11-09-2008   #6
dhedbor

Added fading options. Oh and how about this massive abuse of LibBars!

Last edited by dhedbor; 11-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2008   #7
jokeyrhyme

This is perfect. I love you so much.

Can't wait to see this baby in non-TriggerRune() action.
Old 11-09-2008   #8
dhedbor

Considering how much of a hack this is (the row of icons), or rather how inefficient it is to use a bar display library to show some icons, I'll probably implement an additional rune display mode that simply concentrates on showing icons.

We'll see.
Old 11-09-2008   #9
waallen

Does Magic Runes hide the default rune frame? I'd like to use this addon along with PitBull but I wouldn't like having the standard rune frame.
waallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #10
dhedbor

Currently it doesn't but that's the plan. Can't really test it though since beta went down. If nothing else I'll get it in within a day or two of the expansion coming out.