Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Addon Ideas
Addon Ideas Present your ideas for new addons.

Old 02-20-2009   #21
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: Enchantcheck Addon

Please use the Search feature before you post. There are already numerous threads discussing the idea of an in-game "player assessment" system. I'm going to go ahead and merge this thread with one of the others.

That said, for your particular situation Lightshade, if you're the guild master, and everyone in your raid is a guild member, why on earth are you having to worry about whether everyone has appropriately enchanted and gemmed their gear? Just do spot checks, and if you notice someone consistently coming to raids without appropriate (or any) enchants or gems, stop inviting them to raids.
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #22
Lightshade

Default Re: In game be.imba

Phanx, if it was just that easy. Every guild has it's own way of doing things, and I have mine. Be.imba is used often in my guild and therefor I'm pretty mad everytime it's slow or armory is making errors.

Let's get back to the talk about how to make this. If there are any developers out the rdy for giving it a shot, I will gladly participate. I'm programmer and designer by profession, but haven't spent much time in LUA-programming. I have been re-writing some addons, so maybe I could assist on some part of the project.

Send me a PM if you want to make an addon that has a chance to get used like be.imba does.
Lightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #23
Mokhtar

Maybe you don't realize it Lightshade but what you're asking for amounts to an awful lot of code. I think most of the supposed hostility you see is that people are trying to warn you of the discrepancy between the added value of your addon and the amount of work (plus maintenance, we are looking at something that ought to be updated on a very frequent basis) it would require.
Mokhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #24
Lightshade

I'm pretty sure that this addon wount be done over night, and I'm pretty sure that it will take plenty of hostility from ppl who don't want to help on this.

As far as I can see, I just need to keep answering ppl who don't want to help, and eventually someone see the post and will like to team up on this.

Thx keeping this post on top
Lightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #25
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

You totally missed the point of Mokhtar's post. You're essentially asking someone to spend hundreds of hours of their spare time, for free, writing an addon that does nothing but spare you from the unspeakable horror of having to alt-tab and wait for a web server to respond.

Such an addon would need to be very large and complex in order to handle every possible talent spec, every possible set of equipped gear, and every possible combination of gems and enchants. It would also be 100% dependent on you being within inspect range of everyone... or upon everyone else also having the addon installed to send you their data, which would require even more code to manage the syncing.

It's by no means a simple task, and quite frankly most authors who read these forums already have more than enough of their own projects to keep them busy. We've also all read the multiple "in game be.imba please" threads that have popped up over the last year or so, and none of us have ever indicated any interest in writing such an addon. It's extremely unlikely that your incessant thread-bumping is going to convince any author that we should spend months of our lives developing and testing such a massive addon for you, and continuously bumping the thread with comments like "if I just keep arguing with people who try to explain why they don't want to write this, eventually someone will come around and write it anyway" is obnoxious. Stop it.
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #26
Tekkub
Wiki Master

I think a SIMPLE bimba in-game would be nice. Something that just says, "hey, asshole, you need to put chants on these items, and these items have the lowest iLevel" You know, something that assumes you know what stats you should be wearing, and just helps you make sure you've covered all the bases with gems and chants.

A full blown replacement is a bad idea though. bimba works fine, and can do things like tooltip scanning a lot better than we can in lua. Having a full blown "audit your raid" addon is just throwing us back to the BWL days where raid leaders couldn't trust their raiders because there were so god damn many of them. If you can't trust your raiders to come well geared (not "perfectly" geared), then an addon can't fix your problems.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #27
Tekkub
Wiki Master

Here we go, might release a real beta soon: http://github.com/tekkub/bimbo/tree/master

What it does:
* Check that you have enchants on all items that can be enchanted
* Check that you have added sockets to all items you can add sockets to
* Check that all sockets have a gem in them

What it doesn't:
* Critique your choice of stats, enchants, gems, or talents. I assume you're smart enough to figure those out for yourself
* Check that gems match sockets (not sure if I need to, considering above)
* Check for "low level" items. Might add this later, as a simple way to find what you should upgrade next
* Give you a "score". I might add an average iLevel and corresponding raid tier later
Old 02-23-2009   #28
Mokhtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
* Check that gems match sockets (not sure if I need to, considering above)
Don't check that (except maybe to check meta-gems prereqs), as of now min-maxing means you sometimes have to go for bonus and sometimes not. The implementation of that decision-making process depends on precise class / spec stat allocation, it would take you too far in the realm of Pawn-type addons.
Mokhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #29
Tekkub
Wiki Master

That's what I was thinking... if you have all the sockets filled and DON'T have the bonus, you're either an idiot that can't match colors or you made an informed decision to take gem stats over the bonus stat. In either case, the addon isn't really meant to "correct" that behavior.
Old 02-24-2009   #30
Rostok

Hi there, sweet mod as usual Tekkub.
But you've forgot that Libram/Idol/Totem can't be enchanted.
Anyway works like a charm.
Rostok is offline   Reply With Quote