Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Addon Ideas
Addon Ideas Present your ideas for new addons.

Old 05-20-2011   #11
scotepi

Default Re: LibInspect ?

GUID is fixed. I had it hard coded into one of my addons for a debug mode for months without issue.
scotepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #12
kunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotepi View Post
I would love to have a inspect library that addon could share.
Some features:
- Take inspect in the form of unitID, UnitName(), GUID
- Hook the fields that you want to know ie. item level, stam, resilliance, guild, spec or just return everything available
- Correct all the inspect bugs in Blizzards code
- Return initial information and then a followup function when all information is available
- Caching of inspect information for the session however the registering addon and specify max cache age

I would be a little interested in writing this however I have no idea how to write a library.
Take a look at more than 15000 (much more if you look at all data/gearstats files) lines of code: CharScanner (http://www.wowace.com/addons/charscanner/). CharScanner gives you a complete char/gear scan (including all available gems/reforge/enchs/sets(cata) stats and nearly 1000 achievements (PvE/PvP), spec, guild, and more) in round about 0.4 seconds. No other addon is that fast! ~0.4 seconds! (try to beat that...)

There is NO bug in the inspect code from Blizzard!!!
The problem is: different addons that try to inspect (use inspect events without check for the 10sec/6events restriction introduced with Patch 3.3.5) and not the inspect code from Blizz! Main culprit: libraries/addons that always try to get spec/shitlvl from everyone.(mouseover...haha...lag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egingell View Post
Also, I'm 60% sure the GUID is not always the same for the same player. I'm unsure when they change, possibly when the server reboots, or maybe even when you relog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthedrops View Post
Can someone confirm this? It wasn't what I expected and am working on something that is using player guid.
The character GUID is always the same and the character GUID is unique in the whole Blizz(WoW) universe (because of the battlegroups identifier that was introduced with Patch 3.1). A character is getting a new GUID by creation; this GUID only changes if this character is transfered to another server or if you change faction on your server.

Last edited by kunda; 05-20-2011 at 03:50 AM.
kunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #13
scotepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunda View Post
Take a look at more than 15000 (much more if you look at all data/gearstats files) lines of code: CharScanner (http://www.wowace.com/addons/charscanner/). CharScanner gives you a complete char/gear scan (including all available gems/reforge/enchs/sets(cata) stats and nearly 1000 achievements (PvE/PvP), spec, guild, and more) in round about 0.4 seconds. No other addon is that fast! ~0.4 seconds! (try to beat that...)
Nice sales pitch, lol

Thats kind of what I would like to see just in library form or atlest a open data structure that other addons can use. ie. those "rate, score or measure!" addons
Old 05-20-2011   #14
Ketho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunda View Post
this GUID only changes if this character is transfered to another server or if you change faction on your server.
If we are talking about GUIDs; I have actually tested this myself on the previous 4.1.0 PTRs, and the GUID of my test character(s) did not change at all after the following tests ...
  • Sex Change
  • Name Change
  • Race Change
  • Faction Change
Note: I don't have anything about the GUID on transferring server, although it's very likely I guess

Last edited by Ketho; 06-07-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Ketho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #15
scotepi

I have a basic inspect lib for items. I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in it. I only has 4 real functions, I can't really think of any more.

Code:
INSPECT:AddHook(name, callback);
    ex. INSPECT:AddHook('AddonName', function(guid, items) YourFunction(guid, items); end);

INSPECT:RemoveHook(name);

INSPECT:GetItems(target, force);
    returns items, age, guid, refreshing
    refreshing is true if a InspectNotify(target) was fired, look for a callback in 1sec

INSPECT:CacheAge(maxAge);
    lowest wins

Note: cache is reset on UI reload, its not to replace your own caching mechanism
It doesn't do anything with throttling inspects because I can't find and usful information about the limits.
Old 12-02-2011   #16
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

OP has created a thread for this library. Further discussion should take place there:
http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=19804
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lib inspect idea bugs