Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 02-08-2012   #1
Ketho

Default ScrollingChatText

ScrollingChatText outputs chat messages via LibSink through the following Combat Text AddOns:I've been working on it during the past 2 weeks ..

ScrollingChatText r1 - http://www.wowace.com/addons/scrolli...0120208012924/
Some notes:
  • If Class Colors is loaded, ScrollingChatText will hide its own options, and mention Class Colors instead.

• The locales are kinda setup like, in a post Phanx exampled.

• This is the first time I tried to divide an addon into multiple files, so the ordering of the code might look weird.

• The LibSharedMedia fonts don't seem to be passed correctly to LibSink. When I looked into LibSink's code, it seems only Parrot and MSBT would get the font passed though. But I suppose users can also just configure the font in the Combat Text AddOn's own config.

• There are an amount of problems involving (improper?) Links / UI escape sequences being broken, or not appearing at all when outputting to a Chat Channel via LibSink.

• I'm not sure what to do about the Project License. Normally I just use Public Domain, but if other people are comitting to it, and use multiple libraries, I guess it will be a different story.
I'm still learning about Lua and the WoW API, and I don't have any programming background, or followed any courses. I'm open for any advice and/or pointers.

I'm also actively looking for authors that want to co-author or casually help with this addon, I will add you as an author.

ScrollingChatText is on a Git repository, but myself I have never worked with other people on a project before though. (More likely I'll accidentally destroy the repo)
Code:
git://git.wowace.com/wow/scrollingchattext/mainline.git

I sadly also will be leaving to the US on the 10th of Feb for a month to attend my brother's wedding. But I will unlikely have any access to a computer or laptop (that I can install WoW on)

-----

Here is a preview of the Combat Text AddOn sinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQfTv5Gysk

Last edited by Ketho; 02-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Ketho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #2
Dridzt

Default Re: ScrollingChatText

Looks rather nice

Afaik you cannot use SendChatMessage() to send any escape codes with the exception of raid target icons.

Edit: This is what would happen if you tried to re-route to chat or channel from what I see at your options (haven't looked at code)

Last edited by Dridzt; 02-08-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Dridzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #3
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: ScrollingChatText

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
The LibSharedMedia fonts don't seem to be passed correctly to LibSink. When I looked into LibSink's code, it seems only Parrot and MSBT would get the font passed though. But I suppose users can also just configure the font in the Combat Text AddOn's own config.
I would just let users configure the font in their combat text addon. If I set a font in my combat text addon (though I don't use one at the moment) I want all messages I see through it to be shown in that font. I don't want some other addon changing the font for some messages, and I don't want to have to go into multiple addons to set the same option.

Quote:
Normally I just use Public Domain, but if other people are comitting to it, and use multiple libraries, I guess it will be a different story.
There is nothing in the license of any library I'm aware of that would prohibit addons using them from being committed to the public domain. Also, if other people are committing to it, they (a) probably don't actually care what the license is, and (b) can simply not commit anything if they truly have a problem with contributing to a public domain project.

Quote:
More likely I'll accidentally destroy the repo
If you can accidentally destroy your whole repository, you are using the wrong client software. Use TortoiseGit or SmartGit; both are extremely simple and don't even require any understanding of how Git or version control in general work. Click one thing to get the files, edit them however you want, and then click one other thing to apply your changes to the "master copy" of the files on the server.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, scrollingchattext