Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Unit Frames > Grid & Grid2
Grid & Grid2 Discussions regarding Grid & Grid2 goes here.

Old 12-19-2012   #371
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: Grid — compact party/raid unit frames

Effective immediately, alpha versions will no longer be packaged. I am tired of clueless people setting the Curse Client to download alpha versions of everything and then complaining that something doesn't work when the changelog clearly states that the commit is experimental/untested/unfinished/etc.

I will try to tag more betas, but if you want to use alpha versions, you will have to do so via SVN checkout from now on. If you are not familiar with SVN, here is a quick tutorial:
  1. Download and install TortoiseSVN.
  2. Browse to your Grid addon folder and delete everything inside.
  3. Right-click in the empty folder and select TortoiseSVN > Checkout.
  4. Fill the "URL of repository" box with Grid's SVN URL: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/grid/mainline/trunk
  5. Make sure the "Checkout directory" is pointing to your Grid folder (eg. C:\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Grid) without any extra sub-folders
  6. Leave the other dialog options alone.
  7. Click "OK".

To update:
  1. Right-click on the Grid addon folder.
  2. Select TortoiseSVN > SVN Update.

If you use the Curse Client, Grid should now be marked as a "Development Version" and the client will no longer try to update it. If it does offer you an update, right-click on Grid and check "Ignored".

To go back to using release versions, right-click on Grid in the Curse Client, uncheck "Ignored" if it was checked, and click "Update". Choose "Yes" when prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite your existing version.

If you don't use the Curse Client, you can go back to release versions by deleting your Grid folder and reinstalling it from the latest release/beta ZIP.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #372
8tImER

Send a message via ICQ to 8tImER Send a message via MSN to 8tImER Send a message via Skype™ to 8tImER

Be prepared to receive only very scarce feedback about changes in the future, I guess.
Old 12-21-2012   #373
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

I'm aware of that possibility, but since almost all feedback I get now comes from (a) people crying about errors in untested alpha commits that were clearly marked as drycoded in the commit logs, or (b) people crying about changes in release versions that were available in alpha/beta versions for months or announced well in advance, I can't say I'm particularly concerned about it. Any major changes will continue to be announced in this thread beforehand, and as I said in my last post, I'll try to tag more betas.

Plus, since it seems that many users are telling the Curse Client to download alpha versions who don't have the faintest clue what "alpha" means and should absolutely NOT be using alpha versions of anything, this will (a) prevent a lot of invalid bug reports, and (b) give these users a better experience because they won't be getting alpha versions anymore.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!

Last edited by Phanx; 12-21-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2013   #374
Pyra123

I'm a healer and i dont like the way Grid is sorting players by alphabet. Is there a possible way to sort them manually?
Pyra123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #375
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Not really. Your options for sorting are alphabetically by name, or sequentially by group index (eg. raid1, raid2, raid3, ...). Manual sorting would require a very different addon that did not use Blizzard's secure group template system at all, but instead created and placed individual frames based on your preferred order.

However, I've been healing since the Molten Core days, and I can't even begin to imagine how alphabetical sorting within each group could possibly be any kind of problem for healing. Depending on how your raid sets up healing assignments, you either use a by-group layout and heal the players in your assigned group(s), or you use a by-class layout and heal the players in your assigned area (tanks, melee, or ranged). Can you be more specific about what you're actually having trouble with?
Old 01-28-2013   #376
Pyra123

'Trouble' is a big word. And I'm sorry if it sounded like it was something big. I absolutely love grid since I started healing in kara.
I wonder this, because, due to the nature of Prayer of Healing. And the very short time space from spirit shell. It sometimes feels very slow to target one in the middle of group 1 (so poh would hit everyone in that group), and then click to the next person in group 2 and so forth (in case of 25man)
But if I can order it by role, that might also do it. If not, it'll sure put the ones I'm targeting closer (usually another healet)
Old 01-29-2013   #377
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Well, technically, you can't sort by role, only by class. The built-in by-class layouts approximate sorting by role -- melee-only classes are shown first, follwed by classes with 2 melee specs and 1 ranged spec, followed by classes with 1 melee spec and 2 ranged spec, with ranged-only classes last.

You can force tanks to the top by marking them as tanks in the Blizzard raid panel and using a "with tanks" layout in Grid.

However, since Prayer of Healing is group only (not raid wide) wouldn't it make the most sense to sort by group? It's not any slower to click from someone in group 1 (first row) to someone in group 2 (second row) than it is to click from someone in a hypothetical tank group (first row) to someone in a hypothetical melee DPS group (second row).

You might also look into click-casting via Clique (adds click-casting to all unit frames) or GridClickSets (adds click-casting to just Grid). Then you can assign, for example, right-click on a Grid frame to cast PoH, instead of clicking the frame to target the unit and then casting the spell.
Old 01-29-2013   #378
Pyra123

That's the problem with PoH, I need to be able to target someone being in the center of the group that i'm casting it on, so everyone gets hit.
Usually this is a ranged class (or healer), and i had times were one healers (because of alphabetical order) is firt row all the way on the right, and the other healer, second row all the way on the left (im using horizontal groups). And this feels slow from time to time yes.

I have tried Clique, and i didnt axactly like, perhaps it's more of a getting-used-to.. But i'm using a G11 keyboard, and i got all my keybinds configured on the extra G-keys. So i've never seen the use on also having Clique
Old 01-29-2013   #379
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Well there's definitely no way to sort the frames by the actual position of units relative to you or each other, so I can't really see how any possible sorting method would alleviate the issue you're talking about. No matter how you sort, you're still going to have to move the mouse from one side of the layout to the other sometimes.

If it's feeling like that's a really long distance, you're probably using wide rectangular frames, which is not how Grid was designed to be used. Try smaller, more square frames like the default setup.

If you already have small square frames, I'm not really sure what to tell you; Blizzard devised the entire secure frame system precisely so that you do have to move the mouse to select your healing targets.

For reference, your options for grouping are class or subgroup, and your options for sorting are index or name. You could use a namelist to show a group containing only the specified players (there are/were several plugins to do that) but you'd have to manually edit the layout every time your group changed, so personally I'd put that in the "more trouble than it's worth" category but you might give it a try.

There are also some plugins that aim to help you pick targets for AoE heals, including PoH, based on the location of each player relative to other players. You might look into those as well.
Old 02-01-2013   #380
Lombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
[...] or sequentially by group index (eg. raid1, raid2, raid3, ...) [...]
Is this actually possible in Grid? I've looked for it in the past, and had a look again just now that I read this, but I can't find such an option.

Also, directed at anyone; I'm getting the cannot create protected frame thing whenever someone joins in combat. I don't know if that error is related to Grid, but the new raid frames are not properly created in Grid. They kind of stack on top of each other near the "last" frame. I'm guessing it's not caused by Grid alone (I would've thought an issue of that significance be fixed by now in that case, if possible), so if anyone's got any clues it'd be appreciated. I'm not bothered enough to go disabling all other addons just yet.

Shattered Hand-EU
Lombra is offline   Reply With Quote