Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Data Broker AddOns
Data Broker AddOns Addon threads for displays and plugins using LibDataBroker.

Old 07-11-2008   #21
Squeeg

Default Re: FuBar2Broker (Unofficial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by durcyn
It's not feasible. If you want fubarplugin to work as designed, don't use F2B. if you want minimap icons via F2B, use a display that puts things on the minimap. You can't have your cake and eat it too, though, sorry.
It's not feasible to tell FSB to just not collect the addon into an LDB display?
Shouldn't the addon default to the minimap if it's not being collected?
Old 07-11-2008   #22
Tekkub
Wiki Master

It's not feasible because F2B doesn't supplement the FuBarPlugin library (the thing that renders onto the minimap if FuBar proper isn't found)... it outright REPLACES it. To make minimap possible F2B would have to implement all those little display bits, something which is out of the feature scope of F2B. As has already been said, get someone to make a Broker display addon that renders the plugins as minimap buttons, and have it render the broker plugins you want.

That's really a much better approach anyway, because it's in line with the whole LDB design, it'd support not-fubar LDB feeds, and it's not outright undoing what F2B is trying to do (remove the need for FBP in the first place).
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #23
Squeeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
It's not feasible because F2B doesn't supplement the FuBarPlugin library (the thing that renders onto the minimap if FuBar proper isn't found)... it outright REPLACES it. To make minimap possible F2B would have to implement all those little display bits, something which is out of the feature scope of F2B. As has already been said, get someone to make a Broker display addon that renders the plugins as minimap buttons, and have it render the broker plugins you want.

That's really a much better approach anyway, because it's in line with the whole LDB design, it'd support not-fubar LDB feeds, and it's not outright undoing what F2B is trying to do (remove the need for FBP in the first place).
Oh ho. I didn't realize that the addons still drew on Fubar for MM support.
That's kind of...wonky. =p

Although QuestAnnouncer can support it's MM button with out Fubar, and even that doesn't revert to the MM when it's turned off in the LDB display by SBC.
Is there a way to perhaps send addons like that a message waving it's arms and screaming "DO NOT ENTER GO BACK TO WHENCE YOU'VE COME!" so it just adheres where it normally would?

I don't particularly care, I'm glad to have my BEQL displaying again, and my buttons being collected, or hidden again :3
Old 07-11-2008   #24
Seerah
Legendary Member

Not on FuBar, but on FuBarPlugin.
Old 07-11-2008   #25
Tekkub
Wiki Master

FPB is the whole motivation for making LDB in the first place. It's a fairly large batch of embeds needed to simply get a minimap button if the user doesn't have FuBar proper to display on. The idea is to provide a much smaller embed for people to use, and at the same time decouple the addon providing data from any one specific display addon.
Old 07-11-2008   #26
HunterZ
Legendary Member

Yeah that's really weird that FuBar is required for minimap button support; I thought the whole point of various FuBar plugins being able to display instead as minimap buttons was so that people without FuBar could use them. If FuBar is actually required for that then, yeah, it's definitely reasonable for LDB/F2B to not support that functionality.

Now if someone wants to show some plugin addons on, say Fortress, and some on a yet-to-be-implemented minimap button display addon, is there a way to manage which display addon gets to show which plugin addons? It's probably sufficient to make plugins accessible to all display addons and let the user tell each display addon which plugin addons to show or hide.
I WANT those new developers here that don't have a clue. Hell I want the users that don't have a clue here too. Because I firmly believe that the only way we'll be able to improve the overall community is through acceptance and teaching. The only people I DONT want here are those who are so hardheaded they refuse to see another point of view or at the very least respect it.
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #27
Tekkub
Wiki Master

You're still failing to see the difference between FuBar proper and FuBarPlugin. FBP is the meat of the whole thing, and is embedded in every single plugin that does not ReqDep FuBar proper (most of them). Throw in tablet and dewdrop and all the other libs FBP requires... and it's a hefty bit of code just to get a minimap button that can be moved onto FuBar if it's present.

In all reality, FuBar proper is a "simple" display addon since it's the library embedded in the plugins that does most of the work (granted, that library is embedded in FuBar as well).
Old 07-11-2008   #28
Squeeg

=( Any idea how to get bEQLs #/# display back since last commit?
Old 07-11-2008   #29
durcyn

So, who wants to write a minimap button display frontend for LDB, would be the next logical question.
durcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #30
Tekkub
Wiki Master

NOT IT!

I considered it with Quikie, but decided to go the SlideBar route instead.

What *I* would like to see in a minimap button addon:
* Single button, no herpes
* Clicking gives a quasi-menu. Don't use Blizzy's menu system, instead render a frame of buttons
* Buttons would, of course, be an icon and a name. Use the dataobject's name or .tocname field to pull in pretty names from the TOC Title field
* Tooltips maybe, toggleable or something I guess
* Name it Blister, in honor of the minimap herpes it's making go away for good

Basically it's just taking Quickie's frame, maing it vertical, adding names, and making it toggleable from a minimap bunnot instead of onhover.