Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Raid AddOns
Raid AddOns BigWigs, LittleWigs, oRA2, Omen, etc..

Old 09-01-2009   #91
dpsgnome

Default Re: SavedInstances

Just my own $.02 and personal opinion here: The UI to classify & reorder instances is, imo, overkill and .. well.. "unnecessary bloat". Separating them by raid/5man and then alphabetical sorting is going to cover anyone's needs, really.

Something entirely different I think would rock though, is being able to request saves from group members and displaying them in the same tooltip. With heroic farming being the current rage, it would be really nice to quickly check what people are saved to (assuming they're running SavedInstances or something else supporting the same protocol).

Something else it might support would be to manually tick if someone's saved to an instance after querying people and realizing that group members A, B and D don't speak the savedinstances protocol.

For a protocol, I'd suggest something Real Damn Simple so that other addons can easily speak it. Something like:
prefix="SAVED", and a single message with lines on the format:
Code:
  Halls of Lightning: 5h
  Trial of the Champion: 10, 10h, 25
Obviously there's going to be a translation issue here, and we can't even assume that clients on the same realm are using the same language. (No, really, ask anyone playing on an english european server). So you'd need to use something useful like LibBabble-Instance and always transmit the instance names as English (or untranslated if no translation exists and hope that the receiving end checks for untranslated also and is the same locale).
Old 09-01-2009   #92
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme

There are already tickets up for most of what you've suggested. I've been thinking about how to do synchronisation for a while now. I dislike the idea of relying on a heavy translation library for something as simple as instance names, but it does seem like a necessary evil.

I've been thinking about ways to support instance farming groups, and the low-hanging fruit seems to be simply storing the name/realm of group members whenever we are saved.

It's a whole big can of worms and I do plan on opening it eventually.

Regarding the categories and re-ordering, they were items that I wanted in there personally, but there are provisions in place for those who aren't interested. The only piece of information I can't easily figure out about any particular instance is which expansion it belongs to (it defaults to "Classic"). Instances are otherwise automatically categorised into dungeons (5-man) and raids (everything else). You don't have to spend any time classifying them yourself, and you can hide the category names if you don't like seeing "Classic" in the tooltip.

Thanks heaps for the comments. I plan to continue improving this for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-29-2009   #93
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme

Okay, well, my first session of coding for quite a while. I'm really happy with what I've done to SavedInstances. v2.5-beta should be syndicating as I type this. If all goes well it should be a full release in a few days of testing.

My major concern with the setup interface was the "world of dropdowns" that I inflicted upon the user. All unnecessary dropdowns have been removed in favour of lists that are much friendly.

There is a new feature in this release: encounters! You can define encounters for each instance in the Instance tab. Then, you can tick them off in the Lockouts tab as you go along. Make sure you enable "Show encounters" in the general tab if you want to see this in the tooltip. I know this isn't automatic yet, but I think it will still be useful. Making it work without user intervention is a really really big task. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

So go go, download and test. And praise or complain.
Old 10-29-2009   #94
gamemaster128

You could parse the combat log, but that is a lot of overhead for something so small. Perhaps you could track the statistics portion of the achievement stuff and mark it as complete if it +1's to a boss in the corresponding instance.
gamemaster128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #95
jokeyrhyme

Hmm, good suggestion GM2^7.

I was thinking about it today and I remembered seeing a LibBossID library (or something similarly named) floating past the WowAce home page recently. The problem is there are several encounters where the boss doesn't actually die (like The Keepers). And there are other weird encounters where the bosses can die in variable orders (Assembly of Iron), but that wouldn't be too difficult to manage.

If only there was a LibBossEncounter or something, that would instantly identify the encounter that was started, and determine a successful outcome. It would be terrific if it also tracked the encounter hierarchy, such as being able to group Thorim, Freya, Hodir and Mimiron as "The Keepers" and not expect General Vezax until The Keepers was checked off.

I dunno. It's just getting yuckier and yuckier. /sigh

Note also that it's possible to kill certain bosses without getting saved in 3.3, via the LFG random-dungeon system. Yet another whacky case for SavedInstances to figure out.
Old 10-30-2009   #96
overfiend1988

This would only help in raids, but most of the bossmods fire something if a boss is killed if I remember correctly.

Couldn't you work with that?
overfiend1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #97
jokeyrhyme

Okay, just thought I'd drop a status report. I'm working on overhauling a few parts of SavedInstances.

Things in the addon currently:
- categories can be manually reordered
- instances can be manually reordered
- instances can be manually categorised
- completed encounters can be manually recorded

Things I'm working on:
- instances will be 100% automatically categorised, no more manual control
- completed encounters are 100% automatically categories, no more manual control
- instances are automatically sorted by either level or name, descending or ascending, no more manual control
- categories are automatically sorted, no more manual control (raids first, dungeons first, or by expansion)

The new Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder tools have opened some API doors for me and I'm currently figuring out how best to exploit them. I won't be releasing a 3.3 TOC for a week or so, but as far as I can tell SavedInstances is working fine already anyhow.

So basically, I'm still alive, SavedInstances is fine, and I'm working on making it a super streamlined and easy to use addon moving forward. Stay tuned.
Old 12-20-2009   #98
jokeyrhyme

Okay, I finally got a chance to sit down and look at SavedInstances today.

Progress report:
- Categories section is gone, sorting options are found in the General section
- category sorting options seem to work perfectly
- Dungeon Finder information is used where possible to automatically fill in instance information (specifically expansion pack)
- I'll need more time to improve the matching between the Dungeon Finder DB and the internal instance names
- Instance Order section is gone, sorting options are found in the General section

Things to look at before next stable release:
- I'd like a few days of having a beta release available for public testing
- finish overhauling Instance ordering
- look at customising Instance text coloring
- look at showing instances that party/raid members are unable to do
- tidy up and automate Encounter tracking
- tidy up Lockout links (when clicking on a particular lockout indicator)
Old 12-23-2009   #99
onaforeignshore

Missing 3 localisation strings:
  • List categories from the current expansion pack first
  • Dungeon Finder ID
  • Forget ID
onaforeignshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #100
jokeyrhyme

Haha, yeah. So much forehead smacking. :P

I use BugSack and BugGrabber, so I can train myself to ignore those silly bugs while I'm developing new interface controls. Probably a bad thing. Of course, I then go and make a release and wonder why I'm still getting errors.

Aside from that, any comments on how it's working so far?

Boss detection is much trickier than I first thought which is why it's taking so long. I think I might leave it out for now.