Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Raid AddOns
Raid AddOns BigWigs, LittleWigs, oRA2, Omen, etc..

Old 09-04-2008   #11
Tristanian

Default Re: FuBar_RaidSaveFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeyrhyme

In particular, I'm having trouble with the "You are now saved to this instance" detection. I've registered for the CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM event, and I'm checking it's arg to see if it is INSTANCE_SAVED (as per the GlobalStrings) but last night in Hyjal I still had to open up the raid window to force it to update. This is the one part of it's core behaviour that is missing, and I'd love to fix it but I'm not sure what else I can try. Any ideas?
Well opening the raid window forces a RequestRaidInfo OnShow, that in turn triggers an UPDATE_INSTANCE_INFO event, so that works fine (but I guess you already knew that ). I think the problem lies with the detection method:

if tostring(arg) == "INSTANCE_SAVED" then...

Isn't this really checking for a string named "INSTANCE_SAVED", instead of the value stored in the global INSTANCE_SAVED (which should be "You are now saved to this instance" for EnUS). Try it out with a different system message, one that you can easily replicate (let's say an afk message ). As for when I'll get around to converting this, I'm not sure yet, I'll probably keep most of the code that handles storing the instances and players in tables (since it works fine, there is no point re-inventing the wheel), I do not intend to use a DB lib though for just 4-5 saved vars We'll see how it goes, if and when I have a semi-decent version that I can actually test.
Tristanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #12
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme

Upon closer inspection, I realised I was registering for the CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM event properly, but wasn't actually passing it's argument on to my event handler. I've hopefully fixed that, but it's one of those things that can't really be tested easily (not without screwing around with a ZA bear run or something). It would be nice if someone could run a heroic or something and tell me if RaidSaveFu correctly detects the exact moment that the "You are now saved to this instance" message pops up.

Also, my class color code was a little dodgy and would occasionally eat letters. I've fixed it now and confirmed that it works. I thought things were a little fishy when my druid was missing the first letter of his name and was colored like a paladin. :P

And yeah, I know that the DB thing could be done a zillion times more efficiently. Like I said, I'm very new to this. If you can improve the way the data is saved then please feel free to fix it. One other little problem with it is the way I convert the seconds-until-ID-expires into a final date and time. It's occasionally off by a minute and it's a little frustrating. It's close enough that I consider it a cosmetic bug, but it's still a bug (and must therefore be squashed).
Old 10-01-2008   #13
jokeyrhyme

Send a message via ICQ to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Yahoo to jokeyrhyme Send a message via Skype™ to jokeyrhyme

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks Tris for the suggestion. I did end up trying that and it still does nothing when that chat message appears. It's a puzzler, but it's easy to force an update (open the raid window) and it otherwise checks properly when you zone.

So yeah, my wishlist which I'll get around to at some point:
- make showing the reset time and date optional
- introduce optionally showing the time until reset (as shown in Raid Information)
- correct the reset time accuracy
- fix the "You are now saved to this instance." detection
- improve the save file, possibly ditching RockDB
Old 10-02-2008   #14
Kerecha
Legendary Member

Have been trying this out and its okay for faster acess to saved instances.

But, i thougt this was going to show saved instances on different chars in the same tooltip. But i only see the ones for the char im on atm, making it kinda useless

Probably got caught in wrong kit as usual.
*Anonymity is an eternal Bliss, By name our soul forever bound*
*Normal is Boring*

Kerecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #15
Tristanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks Tris for the suggestion. I did end up trying that and it still does nothing when that chat message appears. It's a puzzler, but it's easy to force an update (open the raid window) and it otherwise checks properly when you zone.

So yeah, my wishlist which I'll get around to at some point:
- make showing the reset time and date optional
- introduce optionally showing the time until reset (as shown in Raid Information)
- correct the reset time accuracy
- fix the "You are now saved to this instance." detection
- improve the save file, possibly ditching RockDB
It is certainly weird that the message isn't being picked up from the CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM event. It may be even worth to localize it, internally if it presents an issue. I will run my own tests when I can, I've been very busy the past couple of weeks but I still plan to have a look at this at some point. As for supporting different chars, I guess it should be doing that if it's using regular savedvars (and not per character savedvars).
Tristanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #16
HunterZ
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerecha View Post
But, i thougt this was going to show saved instances on different chars in the same tooltip. But i only see the ones for the char im on atm, making it kinda useless
Being able to see that info from alts would be the main draw for me.

Also, grats on 1,337 posts lol.
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #17
jokeyrhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
As for supporting different chars, I guess it should be doing that if it's using regular savedvars (and not per character savedvars).
I am using a single saved variables file, by the way, nothing character specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerecha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterZ View Post
Being able to see that info from alts would be the main draw for me.
I'm really confused. This functionality is precisely why I wrote the add-on in the first place and it's working fine for me at the moment.

It doesn't show anything from other realms, but it does save them. So as long as you are on a character on the same server as your saved character, it should be reporting that to you. Also, the saved instances counter in the FuBar text is only for your current character.

I don't suppose you could PM me or something with the savedvariables file? I'd recommend taking a look at it yourself first to confirm I'm not stealing personal information. Or maybe you can just tell me if it is saving the raid information. Knowing if it is being saved correctly in the first place, and if it's just a display problem would be a big help.

Also, the add-on automatically culls expired instance IDs from the list. It's possible that logic is broken and is culling everything, maybe? Tris, is the add-on showing other-character-data for you?

RaidSaveFu tries to stay up to date by listening for the "You are now saved..." message (broken), checking at login, and checking when you zone into a dungeon that can save you. You can also manually trigger an update by opening the Blizzard raid window, which I'd recommend doing before you log out if it isn't up-to-date at that time.
jokeyrhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #18
Kerecha
Legendary Member

I does seem to save the information properly.

Did Kara and ZA on my main on day 1 and they both showed nicely wile i was on the main, but when i logged to the alt they didnt show in the tooltip.

I did some heroics on the alt and they showed nicely, but again, when i logged back to the main only the ZA and the Kara was displaying in the tooltip.

*Normal is Boring*

Old 10-03-2008   #19
jokeyrhyme

Have you tried deleting the savedvariables RaidSaveFu file and starting the database from scratch? Also, are you absolutely running the very latest version? I remember breaking the display stuff in one of the early revisions.

I'll continue to poke around the code, but I can't seem to reproduce the problem here at the moment.

I've been working on the code today, writing a calculation system for time remaining (since you can't rely on the Blizzard timer if you're on another toon). Really wishing Blizzard implemented the Lua datediff() function. /sigh

EDIT: Have you tried running the add-on in Debug mode? It's just a checkbox on the setup page, and it causes it to print out a few status messages in the primary chat window as it does its work. It'd be interesting to see what was going on back there.

Last edited by jokeyrhyme; 10-03-2008 at 01:44 PM.
jokeyrhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #20
Kerecha
Legendary Member

Seems to be working after a few reinstalls.

As for the resettime, it dun really matter if its synched or not since the instances resets at a fixed time.

*Normal is Boring*