Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Raid AddOns
Raid AddOns BigWigs, LittleWigs, oRA2, Omen, etc..

Old 09-27-2008   #1
dragonis

Default Omen3

is there any news on Omen3 yet?
dragonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #2
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

Default Re: Omen3

Edit: Omen3 is now available from the following locations:

http://www.wowace.com/projects/omen-threat-meter/
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...eat-meter.aspx
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...reatMeter.html

Localization is still needed for most languages.

------------------------------------------
(original post follows this line)
------------------------------------------

I just started writing Omen3 today. Lol.

At the moment, all it has is a non-configurable "SingleTarget" mode, nothing else, no fancy stuff, no combat log parsing., doesn't sync, has no config, and uses pure Blizzard threat events and values. (No its not uploaded anywhere yet.)

One problem is that Blizzard's threat events doesn't fire on units you aren't actually in combat with, so if one party member engages a mob, you didn't enter combat yet, Omen3 wouldn't actually display anything because wow would refuse to tell you any threat information on that mob until you start doing damage to it (it doesn't work if you send your pet to attack it, you have to attack it).

So maybe some form of syncing is still required. Ugly. Another problem with Blizzard's new threat API is that you can't obtain threat on a unit that you or one of your party members isn't targetting. This might mean raid scanning, which is highly costly with CPU time.

Last edited by Xinhuan; 10-14-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add download/git links
Xinhuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #3
yssaril

how does raid scanning compare to the current combat log scanning?
yssaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #4
MoonWitch
Demonic Enforcer

Xinhuan, perhaps it's possible to - I hate myself for suggesting this, but maybe it will be less costly than the cpu time on raid scanning - have those in raid with Omen3 send treat to the others (with a - oh god here it goes) comm channel. Or was that what you meant?
MoonWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #5
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

It's faster, but the problem is with its inconsistency. If nobody in the raid is targeting mobX, then you can't query anybody's threat on mobX because you don't have a valid unitID on it.

The main problem here I'm getting is this (as of the current beta build 8982):

If you aren't in combat with a mob, Blizzard's threat API returns all nils.
Even if you send in your pet to attack a mob, and that automatically puts you in combat as well, Blizzard's threat API still returns all nils with that mob, until you do at least 1 damage to it yourself, or buff yourself to generate some amount of threat.

The good and ugly stuff:
If you body pull a mob, you are considered on its threat list and will get every threat update on it even if you remain at 0 threat.
If an NPC is tanking it, you can get the NPC's threat values (since targettarget) is a valid unitID. If the NPC stops tanking it (such as at Kalecgos in the demon realm), then you can't query the NPC's threat on the mob until you have a valid unitID on it, such as a raid member targeting him (which would then require raid scanning).

What this means is, if your main tank starts pulling a mob/boss, you can't see how much threat anybody has on that mob until you do an action that causes more than 0 threat on it (such as buffing) - sending your pet in doesn't count, you can't see your pet's threat either until you get on the mob's threat list.

If the whole idea of Blizzard's threat API is to avoid parsing the combat log and avoid syncing, its failing at the moment.
Old 09-28-2008   #6
K.Rool

I don't actually see a problem with that.
From the way you describe it, only people who are AFK (by nature trivial as a "problem") or who would send their pet in without attacking themselves would notice this.

And I can't see the latter happening often. Maybe for Hunters or Warlocks for the first 1-2 seconds of combat, but does that matter to them. Or do you drop off the Blizzard threat-updates again when you don't change your threat for X seconds?
Old 09-28-2008   #7
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

It just seems odd behavior. Suppose a boss encounter has 4 mobs. You spend 3 minutes killing the first one, then switch to the second one. You wouldn't know how much threat anybody has on the 2nd mob until you start attacking it (although it isn't really an issue, it just seems odd behavior).
Old 09-28-2008   #8
dragonis

i cant wait to test it, atm with ZTM when im on a holy priest i cant see anyones threat cause it dosnt show me my threat based on my targets target.
dragonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #9
dafire

I don't see the "big" problem with not getting any data before you enter the combat actively. I wouldn't put syncing in just for that.

the reason is probably that on the server the threat data is send from the mob-object to all objects in his hate list... so if you're not on his list you get no data.

Quote:
It just seems odd behavior. Suppose a boss encounter has 4 mobs. You spend 3 minutes killing the first one, then switch to the second one.
i doubt that because on most of those encounters you will get on the hate list of the other boss mobs much earlier, probably when you are in range. Maybe it's not the case with kalecgos but that's a special case.
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #10
astaldo2

KLHThreatMeter for WotLK has opted for raidscanning, just a fyi.
astaldo2 is offline   Reply With Quote