Go Back   WowAce Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-01-2008   #1
Legorol

Default Are you lost? Attempt at an overview/FAQ

I was confused by a lot of things when I first found out about the wowace transition. Since then I have gone on a fact-finding mission to try and understand what site is what, where do I go and what do I do. A lot of this might be completely obvious to a lot of people, but for me it was an entirely new territorry and therefore I hope this post will be of use.

1. What's the relationship between WoWAce, Curseforge and Curse?

WoWAce and Curseforge are intended to be sites for developers, to provide them with the tools they need to maintain their projects. They are not directly intended to be used by end-users.

Curse on the other hand is intended to be the portal site for end-users where they can get the fruits of the addon authors' labours.

WoWAce and Curseforge are intended to represent two distinct author communities, with their own culture. They now share a lot of the same software, but maintain their own unique features and flavours.

An important feature of both WoWAce and Curseforge is that a project that is maintained on either one of them can automatically gets pushed to Curse for end-user consumption. Any project details filled in on a project page on either site can automatically appear on Curse.

Think of the whole thing like soft drinks: both Coke and Pepsi have their own factories, which consumers don't need to worry about, and both are sold through the same retail outlet, namely your local shop.

Incidentally, Curseforge has a very nice overview FAQ that I recommend for reading: http://www.curseforge.com/knowledge-...rse-forge-faq/

2. As an author, where should I host my addon?

You can no longer directly host addons on Curse. You either need to host on WoWAce or Curseforge, and get your project to be pushed from there.

I was told that you do not need to maintain your project on both WoWAce and Curseforge, and in fact you are strongly encouraged to maintain it only on one of them to avoid confusion.

If you are a new author, you might want to start with:
http://www.wowace.com/knowledge-base...-with-wow-ace/

3a. As an author, what happened to my project that was formerly hosted on WoWAce?

The former SVN tree was imported and split up into separate projects under the new WoWAce site. Lot of the imported projects were successfully attributed to their owners. However, lot of them appear as being owned by "wowaceSVN". If that is the case, in order to gain control of a project, you need to claim ownership over it with your WoWAce account. In most cases you do not need to create a new project.

3b. As an author, what happened to my project that was formerly hosted on Curse.com?

All projects were imported to Curseforge. From what I understand, you can no longer directly upload files to curse.com.

4. As a user, where should I get my addons from?

The best thing is to get your addons from Curse. Things are still in a transitionary period, but eventually both Curseforge and WoWAce hosted addons will appear on Curse for downloading.

5. How are author account details getting merged between WoWAce and Curseforge?

I don't have certain details on this, but from what I uderstand, the staff are doing everything they can to merge your WoWAce and Curseforge accounts. In my case I found that I didn't have a WoWAce or Curseforge author account before, but had a working Curse account. That seemed to have been imported to both. The staff are very helpful in manually helping with any account merging issues that arise.

6. What's happening to files.wowace.com and WoW Ace Updater?

These are discontinued. The old wowace SVN still exists in a "frozen" state and packaged addons are still available on files.wowace.com for a short period, and WAU still works and will do so for a short period of time, but will disappear very soon. That's the whole idea. End-users who were relying on WAU to get their addons updated will no longer be able to do so. The idea is to remove end-users' direct access as much as possible from WoWAce, and instead retain it as an author community.

7. So what are my new options?

Your recommended options are to download addons manually from Curse, or to use the CurseClient software for automatic downloading and updating of your addons. The CurseClient is still work in progress, but is the intended end-user tool for addon downloading.

You can also download files directly from a project's WoWAce or Curseforge page, but you are likely to encounter more technical mumbo jumbo than you need.

Last edited by Legorol; 10-01-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Legorol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #2
Allara

Default Re: Are you lost? Attempt at an overview/FAQ

8. What if I had a project on CurseForge and the WowAce SVN?

If your project on the WowAce SVN had a name identical to your project on CurseForge, the project was prepended with "wowace-" before being imported into the new WowAce site. You should now have two projects, one on CurseForge called "add-on", and one on WowAce called "wowace-add-on". Want to rectify the situation? Click on "Merge projects" on the project page here. It'll walk you through the process, allowing you to control which of the two projects' comments, files, and other metadata get kept (or both). Note that once you merge, the single remaining project will be hosted only at either CurseForge or WowAce, depending on how you configured the operation. After the merge, attempting to navigate to the non-surviving project will redirect you to the surviving project, even switching you from CurseForge to WowAce (or vice versa) if necessary.
Allara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #3
Pericles

Two additional questions to add to the FAQ.

I used to commit to http://dev.wowace.com/wowace/trunk/AddonName now I commit to

The Ace3 Libraries that I embedded in my project were at http://svn.wowace.com/wowace/trunk/Ace3/ they are now at
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #4
MoonWitch
Demonic Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Two additional questions to add to the FAQ.

I used to commit to http://dev.wowace.com/wowace/trunk/AddonName now I commit to

The Ace3 Libraries that I embedded in my project were at http://svn.wowace.com/wowace/trunk/Ace3/ they are now at
Read #2 from the FAQ , click the link. Also Knowledge base on top of the page does hold those answers.
MoonWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #5
Pericles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Read #2 from the FAQ , click the link. Also Knowledge base on top of the page does hold those answers.
Yes I'm aware of that but this is meant to be an FAQ those are going to be very common questions and thus to my mind should be in the body of the FAQ not as information buried in other places. #2 doesn't even suggest the info would be in the link it says "If you are a new author, you might want to start with" which strongly suggests the link is to a newbie guide, not a guide for experienced authors.
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #6
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Yes I'm aware of that but this is meant to be an FAQ those are going to be very common questions and thus to my mind should be in the body of the FAQ not as information buried in other places. #2 doesn't even suggest the info would be in the link it says "If you are a new author, you might want to start with" which strongly suggests the link is to a newbie guide, not a guide for experienced authors.
This stuff, IMNSHO, needs to be in the main Wiki or at least a "HowTo" or a "Best Practices" guide.

BTW: So you know, and if you want to take maintenance away from me: Before I knew about FuBar2Broker, I wrote nanoPar for IOP. You can find it on WoWI.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #7
Arindelle

I need to know what to do with my addons on a "no-external" basis during the transition as a user (non-author). Library files are separted from all my addons.

Do I have to update all my library files individually (and edit out the lib folder for each addon)??

OR, until a "no external" option is available, erase all libary files from my addon folders, and manually update every addon with the libray file included??

I noticed the Omen on the curse site has a nolib download available.

Please help. Or a link to another post maybe??

Thanks in advance (but I think this would be nice in a FAQ) My apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread however.

Last edited by Arindelle; 10-05-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Arindelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #8
OrionShock
Legendary Member

Arindelle, as it currently stands, the no-ext option zips are done on a per-project basis. So you will need to find the no-ext projects and download their zips. Not every addon has been setup for this.

Untill each of the mainstream authors can find the time to check in with the new site alot of addons are not going to have a no-ext setup.

"I was there in the beginning... and things were very different back then" --An Echo from a time before.
OrionShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #9
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

nolib versions are only created if somewhere in your TOC file, you have a "#@no-lib-strip@" line.

Code:
#@no-lib-strip@
embeds.xml
#@end-no-lib-strip@
something like that.
Old 10-06-2008   #10
yssaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
nolib versions are only created if somewhere in your TOC file, you have a "#@no-lib-strip@" line.

Code:
#@no-lib-strip@
embeds.xml
#@end-no-lib-strip@
something like that.
same goes for if a any strip is in place in a xml file
yssaril is offline   Reply With Quote