Go Back   WowAce Forums > General > Updaters
Updaters Updater Threads

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008   #1
kjcdude

Default WoW Matrix?

After the ace updater was ditched i moved over to WoW matrix since it actually updates the mods unlike the new curse updater.

Does anyone know of a better updater than wow matrix, or is it the best one out there?
Old 10-07-2008   #2
sarbian

Default Re: WoW Matrix?

You have a last word to say before they all jump on you ?

You may want to do a search on the forum about wowmatrix
Old 10-07-2008   #3
Tekkub
Wiki Master

FYI, many authors are not happy with wowmatrix as of late, mainly because they leech bandwidth from the sites that actually host the addons.
Old 10-07-2008   #4
kjcdude

I assume you're referring to this - http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18358

If wow matrix updates my mods i don't really care if the dev doesn't take the steps to protect their content. We are talking about free mods that require 3rd party sites to get their name out there. If the devs are really that pissed that wowmatrix is profiting off them why don't the devs sell the mods themselves and stop making it for free?
Old 10-07-2008   #5
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcdude View Post
I assume you're referring to this - http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18358

If wow matrix updates my mods i don't really care if the dev doesn't take the steps to protect their content. We are talking about free mods that require 3rd party sites to get their name out there. If the devs are really that pissed that wowmatrix is profiting off them why don't the devs sell the mods themselves and stop making it for free?
I'm sincerely wondering what reality you're from.

The UI sites host the addons, and give the authors the tools required to update them and interact with their users on bug reports. WoWMatrix strips the authors of these abilities, and in fact completely hides the fact that there ARE authors at all. Beyond that, instead of downloading the addon and hosting it themselves, whenever a WoWMatrix user updates their addons, the client pulls directly from the host site - stealing that site's bandwidth and costing them money.

Also: It's rather hard to sell open-source code since it's OPEN. What you sell is support, or accept donations. Otherwise you obfuscate the code making it hard (but not impossible) to read and duplicate.

It sounds to me like you don't give two shits about the hours on end the authors put into their work. You just want it handed to you and you want it to work and if it doesn't, fuck everyone. Please, go away.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Old 10-08-2008   #6
Starinnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
It sounds to me like you don't give two shits about the hours on end the authors put into their work. You just want it handed to you and you want it to work and if it doesn't, fuck everyone. Please, go away.
This.

I hope you don't use any of my mods, and if you do, I ask that you stop using them. My addons might be free to use, but they did cost me time and effort to think of, write, debug and publish to some site that wowmatrix scraped for their data. I would hope that users would appreciate that and not use sleazy tools like wowmatrix.
Old 10-08-2008   #7
Tekkub
Wiki Master

That's not what I said. It's not about them having ads or making money, it's about them stealing other site's bandwidth.
Old 10-08-2008   #8
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Here is the essence of your last post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcdude View Post
i don't really care [...] If the devs are really that pissed
Please go away.

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Old 10-08-2008   #9
Tristanian

Let's not forget the fact, that authors should have the fraking right to actually be able to choose where they want their addons hosted and if possible control their distribution. WoWMatrix is distributing addons without even asking or informing the authors, much less giving them credit for their work.
Old 10-08-2008   #10
OrionShock
Legendary Member

& as a reminder @ authors, you can write into wowmatrix and have your addons removed from the listing. only takes about 2 emails. I figure this is a more productive way of killing this service off.

"I was there in the beginning... and things were very different back then" --An Echo from a time before.
Closed Thread