Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Unit Frames
Unit Frames ag_UnitFrames, Grid, Pitbull, X-Perl, etc., and modules

Old 01-07-2009   #1
ckknight

Wink PitBull 4.0

Hey beautiful people, ckknight here.

I know there have been some murmurs in the community about this, so I figured now's a good a time as any to introduce PitBull 4.0 (or at least the concept thereof).

PitBull 4.0 is a completely different codebase than 3.0, it's written entirely from scratch with important ideals in mind:
  • First off, everything in 4.0 is documented. This will make maintainability far, far easier, as well as allowing extensibility far easier as well. Documentation can be found at http://www.wowace.com/projects/pitbull4/pages/
  • The module system is handled much differently. The core framework is built around the concept that modules should have to do as little as possible and not repeat the same things over and over in each module. This makes writing modules far easier, as well as provides a more consistent interface for the user.
  • The layout system is handled entirely differently. In 3.0, every unit group had settings attached to it that defined its look and feel, this made configuring many frames at once hard without resorting to horrible hacks like the "All Frames" menu. In 4.0, every unit group has a "layout" attached to it. Let's say player has the layout "Normal" and target has the layout "Normal" as well. Making a change to the "Normal" layout will change both the player and the target, as well as any other frames that inherit from that layout. Individual units can override specific things in a layout, such as if you want the target to mirror horizontally (so bars fill up in reverse and such) or if you want it to be a different size. This is all possible and far easier to manage.
  • The options screen is better laid out. The overall design of the options is done to be simpler to configure. Things are more consistent and easier to find. This doesn't mean that you lose options or functionality, it just means that things should be more intuitive.
  • Ace3 is used instead of Rock. This really shouldn't affect users at all. It being Ace'd doesn't make it intrisically better, it's just that I don't have time to maintain the Rock framework patch-to-patch, so Ace3's a better long-term plan.
  • No longer explicitly dependent on DogTag. DogTag is now handled through a Text Provider module type. A separate Text Provider could be written and DogTag not used at all. I know some of the performance junkies wanted this option, so now you have it. Shefki has written the LuaTexts module for those who want to use it. It's a bit more complicated (for those who haven't written Lua), but the defaults should be good.
  • It's not done yet. We're mostly working out performance issues now.

The project page can be found here: http://www.wowace.com/projects/pitbull4/

If you have any suggestions or find any bugs, http://www.wowace.com/projects/pitbull4/tickets/

Don't request features here. I won't see them. Use the ticket system.

If you're a translator and wish to help out, http://www.wowace.com/projects/pitbull4/localization/

PitBull 3.0 can be considered in a stasis. No more work is being done on it, all development efforts are going into PitBull 4.0.

Last edited by ckknight; 06-02-2009 at 08:33 PM.
ckknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #2
ferras

Default Re: PitBull 4.0

just took them for a test drive and so far so good. can't wait for the auras to be implemented but I like the direction they're going in.
ferras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #3
chaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckknight View Post
  • The options screen is better laid out. The overall design of the options is done to be simpler to configure. Things are more consistent and easier to find. This doesn't mean that you lose options or functionality, it just means that things should be more intuitive
Am I missing the options that allow for say turning off power bars on party frames only or changing text on party frames?
chaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #4
Kelem

I thought the customization in 3 was plentiful.... holy crap.

Waiting for these to be finished as I've always liked the customization far more than any other frame mod.
Kelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #5
ckknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud View Post
[/LIST] Am I missing the options that allow for say turning off power bars on party frames only or changing text on party frames?
Yes, you make a new layout, assign party to that new layout.
Old 01-08-2009   #6
chaud

Quote:
Yes, you make a new layout, assign party to that new layout.
Sorry, overlooked that in my rush to play with them before I was called off to do WG.

This may be another oops question, but what about color options, like changing that deep blue that is the mana bar.
chaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #7
ckknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud View Post
Sorry, overlooked that in my rush to play with them before I was called off to do WG.

This may be another oops question, but what about color options, like changing that deep blue that is the mana bar.
Not yet, but I plan to add a whole host of options such as ones to edit that.
Old 01-08-2009   #8
snoowly

hi!

is there one way to import layout from Pitbull 3.0 ?
snoowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #9
ckknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoowly View Post
hi!

is there one way to import layout from Pitbull 3.0 ?
No, nor will there be, the systems are just way too different.

The idea is that it should take you around 5 minutes to configure rather than 2 hours, though.
Old 01-08-2009   #10
snoowly

Quote:
No, nor will there be, the systems are just way too different.

The idea is that it should take you around 5 minutes to configure rather than 2 hours, though.
that's right! it took me 2 hours to configure
thanks for answer, and to keep pitbull alive.
snoowly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luatexts, pitbull, pitbull4, unit frames