Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 06-19-2009   #1
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal
Default GearGauge - Official Thread

I've reached what I believe to be a usable beta stage for GearGauge, so I'm opening it up for discussion.

Bug reports go here.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #2
lilsparky
Amazing Member

Default Re: GearGauge - Official Thread

what is your rating scheme?
lilsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #3
Torhal

Basically, I compare the item level to the character level, tally up any bonuses that the item gives (adjusted internally - I give very little value to resilience, for example, as this is primarily focused on PvE), and subtract points for it not being enchanted/gemmed if applicable.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Old 09-09-2009   #4
rakkarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Basically, I compare the item level to the character level, tally up any bonuses that the item gives (adjusted internally - I give very little value to resilience, for example, as this is primarily focused on PvE), and subtract points for it not being enchanted/gemmed if applicable.
works for all war specs or only prot?
rakkarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #5
Torhal

Specs aren't even taken into account.

Old 09-09-2009   #6
HunterZ
Legendary Member

Seems a bit too simplistic to be useful, but then I use Pawn because I have multiple tools (Simcraft and femaledwarf.com) that spit out weight tables for me.
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #7
Torhal

I use Pawn as well. The intent behind GearGauge is to have a "scoring" based on the equipment you're wearing - its stat bonuses as well as item level compared to character level. You can scan your party or raid to get a list of scores for everyone in the group, and from there look at individual equipment lists which also shows if an item is missing an enchantment or has un-gemmed sockets.

Old 09-10-2009   #8
Nandini

It might be helpful if you would publish your scoring and weighting algorithms as a wiki page with a simplified version in the project's description.

Most users would probably not be comfortable browsing through your Lua code to see if they agree with your decisions. (For example, I do not consider equipping a grey item to be any more valuable than leaving the slot empty, as shown in your example screenshot.)
Nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #9
Catharr

Nice Addon which gives a quick overview of someoneĀ“s gear.
Rating seems a bit odd though...on my feral druid, dps gear with iLvL 213 shows 414,12 rating while tanking gear with iLvL 216 gives 292,70 rating.
Judging by other scores, the 414,12 from dps gear seems way too high.
Catharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #10
Torhal

Could you provide more information about each set?