Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 09-25-2009   #1
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Default DiminishingReturns - DR icons for unit frames

From project page :

Quote:
Diminishing Returns (DR) helps tracking your teammate and own diminishing returns on hostile players by attaching icons to unit frames.

Features:

* uses DR category database from DRData-1.0,
* select which categories to show,
* learning option: automatically enables categories that you trigger with your spells,
* some layout options, available in interface options or /dimret.
* test mode available using /drtest.
* LibDualSpec-1.0 support for per-spec profiles,
* AddonLoader support to reduce logon time.

Currently supported unit frames :

* Blizzard target, focus and arena enemy frames,
* Shadowed Unit Frames: target and focus,
* Gladius (arena unit frames),
* (alpha) PitBull Unit Frames 4.0: target and focus.
Screenshot:

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Adirelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #2
lilsparky
Amazing Member

Default Re: DiminishingReturns - DR icons for unit frames

hey nice.

how do you select your spell icon? purely from the spell that caused the dr?

it would be a nice option to show the class-specific icon for categories like cyclone/blind or poly/sap. so a rogue would see a dr timer with the blind icon when a druid has cycloned somebody and a druid would see the cyclone timer if a rogue blinded somebody. everybody else would just see the icon for the spell that was actually cast.
lilsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #3
Adirelle
Legendary Member

ATM the icons are fixed. I can't easily find class specific icons because DRData-1.0 lists debuffs and they sometimes have a different name from the spell that applies them, e.g. "Freezing Trap" spell applies "Freezing Trap Effect". That's why there is a "category learning" option: I can't simply detect categories using known spells, let alone procs and/or talents that enhances existing spells.

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Old 09-26-2009   #4
lilsparky
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirelle View Post
ATM the icons are fixed. I can't easily find class specific icons because DRData-1.0 lists debuffs and they sometimes have a different name from the spell that applies them, e.g. "Freezing Trap" spell applies "Freezing Trap Effect". That's why there is a "category learning" option: I can't simply detect categories using known spells, let alone procs and/or talents that enhances existing spells.
gotcha.

you could, tho, use the icon of the spell that triggered the dr, no?

and is the drdata file correct? it lists blind being grouped with fear, but wowwiki has it on the same timer as cyclone (from the 2.3 patch) even tho they also list it as being grouped with fear.
Old 09-26-2009   #5
Adirelle
Legendary Member

I could use the first used ability, but that would mean the icon could change each session. Both hunters' wyvern and freezing trap are in the same category, so the icon would change depending on what you used first. Let alone the case when someone else triggered the DR.

Blind as been hotfixed 4/30/09 to be on the same DR than Fear (search "Blind" in this post).

Edit: actually I'm in the process of definining class-specific icons. I've already done it for five classes.

Last edited by Adirelle; 09-26-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2009   #6
lilsparky
Amazing Member

Quote:
Blind as been hotfixed 4/30/09 to be on the same DR than Fear (search "Blind" in this post).
oh, okay. in the wowwiki notes they indicate that it shares a cooldown with cyclone as of 2.3, so i guess that's old and nobody bothered to note that it was changed again.

Quote:
Edit: actually I'm in the process of definining class-specific icons. I've already done it for five classes.
yeah, it seems like just doing it by hand would probably be simple enough. most are probably going to be the same anyway, just a few where seeing a frost nova icon might be a little funny when you've got a druid casting roots.

i like that you're using color to help the quick read, but maybe instead of having the border color by the dr %, you could have the border be based on the category (with the ability for the user to alter it). thinking of it that way, the icon itself becomes less important once you start getting used to colors. the border might then need to be a bit thicker to help the read.

i personally would also like the ability to have the timers show up in multiple places. for example, next to gladius is fine, but i'd also like a block specifically for my target (or focus) that i could simply drag anywhere on the screen and scale to whatever size i liked.
Old 09-26-2009   #7
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Finding colors for 19 categories could be tedious but this is something I already thought about.

About the floating blocks, I'll have to create movable, empty unit frames because the blocks do expect to be attached to SecureUnitButtons.

So nothing impossible but nothing really easy. I'll keep it on the TODO list.

Old 09-26-2009   #8
Shadowed

WoWWiki is really out of date, I used it originally as the base of DRData-1.0 two years ago but it's not really even a worthwhile page to have up.
Shadowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #9
lilsparky
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirelle View Post
Finding colors for 19 categories could be tedious but this is something I already thought about.
in practice, people would probably only really be interested in 4 or 5 dr's in an arena setting. for example, i run a 2s team as an affliction lock with a resto druid. i'm really only concerned with his cyclone timer and MAYBE his roots timer. and of course, my fears. so i'd probably color my fears purple and his cyclone orange and his roots maybe green.

Quote:
About the floating blocks, I'll have to create movable, empty unit frames because the blocks do expect to be attached to SecureUnitButtons.

So nothing impossible but nothing really easy. I'll keep it on the TODO list.
or you could give a lot leeway with anchor points and then i could attach to my target frame, only then i'd give it an offset that places it where i want (like nowhere near my actual target unit frame). of course, i run aguf which isn't supported (yet?).

do you have a priority support path for different target frames? like what if i have gladius and shadowed uf? do i get two sets of blocks or do you create one set and then attach it to one of those unit frames?
Old 09-27-2009   #10
Adirelle
Legendary Member

I added XPerl and agUF support (drycoded though).

Anchoring settings also allow -500 to 500 offsets from the unit frame, would this be enough ? (I'm also considering an option to anchor to screen instead of the unit frames).

edit:
Quote:
do you have a priority support path for different target frames? like what if i have gladius and shadowed uf? do i get two sets of blocks or do you create one set and then attach it to one of those unit frames?
Each frame has its own DR icon block, that is created when need be.

Last edited by Adirelle; 09-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.