Go Back   WowAce Forums > General > Lua Code Discussion
Lua Code Discussion You scared? Terrified. Mortified. Petrified. Stupefied... by [coding].

Old 12-10-2009   #1
x87bliss

Default Is it possible to get Blizzard support regarding API?

With patch 3.3 it seems they have crippled EquipItemByName, and EquipCursorItem while in combat. This has actually disabled all three of the addons that I make. They seemed to work fine on the PTR, but no longer function properly on the live servers.

I want to find out if this is a bug, or if this is the new intended functionality. However, I do not know what is the proper method to get a response from Blizzard, if there is one.
x87bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: Is it possible to get Blizzard support regarding API?

Post on Blizzard's (US) UI & Macros forum. If you don't have an active US WoW account, write a detailed post and ask someone to post it there for you.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3
Tekkub
Wiki Master

It is intended, they wanted to stop rogue poison swap addons. Blizzy generally hates in-combat decision making addons, and something that equips items for you certainly falls under that. What do your addons do?
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #4
x87bliss

The first add-on was one that swapped daggers to swords for PVP rogues to use ambush.

The second add-on was one that swapped fishing pole to weapons if you entered combat while fishing

The third add-on was one that swapped your weapons to lance, and lance to weapons automatically in ToC (or just jousting in general).

All of which apparently Blizzard doesn't like, lol.

Edit:
I do know a workaround for this. However, in an effort to try to keep my account active, I am not going to play cat and mouse with Blizzard.

Edit 2:
Now that I know all three of my addons are intentionally disabled. Should I leave the old versions up for archival purposes? Or should I go through and delete the addons from Curse?

Last edited by x87bliss; 12-11-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2009   #5
Tekkub
Wiki Master

First addon they explicitly killed.

Second should still be possible if you do it before the player is in combat. Addons have a moment as you enter combat where the APIs aren't yet locked down. That lets them set attributes on secure frames and the like.

Third should be possible out of combat, unless the API was totally locked out.

Edit 1) What are you getting at? They're not going to ban you for writing an addon, they'll just break the addon.

Edit 2) That's up to you, I never delete my code even when it gets integrated into the game. Archives are a good thing.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #6
x87bliss

Is there a special event to listen for to make the second addon work? Or does PLAYER_REGEN_DISABLED fire while you still have that grace period to perform actions?

Currently I have it monitoring the combat log to ensure YOU were actually involved in the combat (not that someone in your party attacked something nearby).

The third all I have to do is make it wait for you to leave combat once you dismount the vehicle. But since it only has 500 downloads, I really don't think it's that important.
Old 12-11-2009   #7
yssaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by x87bliss View Post
Is there a special event to listen for to make the second addon work? Or does PLAYER_REGEN_DISABLED fire while you still have that grace period to perform actions?
that is the last event that fires BEFORE the combat lock down occurs so you can do anything you can do out of combat at this time
yssaril is offline   Reply With Quote