Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 02-28-2010   #1
xbeeps

Default Castbars - Official Thread

Castbars is a lightweight and efficient enhancement of the Blizzard castbars, including both the Player/Vehicle Castbar, the Pet Castbar, Target/Focus and the Mirror Timerbars.

See http://www.wowace.com/addons/castbars/ for a full description.

Please post your comments and questions in this thread. If you find an issue or have a suggestion for improvement, please post a ticket at http://www.wowace.com/addons/castbars/tickets/

Last edited by xbeeps; 03-02-2010 at 04:43 PM.
xbeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #2
zimmerk

Default Re: Castbars - Official Thread

Hello! I have just recently returned to Wow, last played during BC. So I have been trying to get updated on the current add-ons in development. What is your intent with this add-on compared with Quartz? Is it intended to be an alternative in aesthetics, or more lightweight and closer to Blizzards code than Quartz is, or both?
zimmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #3
xbeeps

The first main difference was the use of Ace3, but Quartz has been updated (not by the original author though) to use Ace3 now. The second main difference is that Castbars uses the existing Blizzard frames and code for all basic functionality. All additional features are added to this code by adding to the event handling and rearranging the frames. This makes for an extremely small code size, currently around 1100 lines in a single source file, of which more than half is used only once during initialisation and then freed (for garbage collection). The code is also not modular, as everything is contained in a single unit, instead of spread across multiple modules. This means more efficient event handling and less duplication, because every module does not have to listen to the same events, and the information gained in one event handler can be used across the addon. From a maintenance point of view, modularity is better, but since we can implement the current feature set in a few hundred lines of code i strongly favour efficiency in this case.

There are a few features in Quartz that Castbars does not (currently) have:

*Display of the source of spell interruption. This will probably be added.
*Swing timer. This is quite a heavy feature (requires listening to the very busy combat log events), and i think it is more suitable for an independent addon.
*Buffs. Again, quite a heavy feature. I'm very satisfied with NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen, and i like the fact that this is in a separate addon.
*Flight Timer. Something i already have in a separate addon (InFlight), but it may be added to Castbars, similar to how Quartz is able to hook into InFlight.

Castbars support ConfigMode (and thus OneButtonConfig), which makes it easy and quick to move the bars around. I'm not sure Quartz does that?

Apart from that, the design goals of Castbars is to be light, to the point and easy to use. That means sensible defaults, so you don't get a smashed up screen when you log into a new character, and easy to understand settings so you can easily change those few settings you need to.
Old 03-01-2010   #4
zimmerk

Thank you for your quick response and your service to the WoW community. I am inclined towards efficiency myself and love the idea of building upon the existing frames and code, so you have convinced me to go with Castbars for now. I also agree that it is probably best to leave some of those extra features to other addons. If I notice any problems, I will be sure to send in a ticket to help out. Again, thanks!
zimmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #5
Ydrisselle

Quartz doesn't hook to InFlight since the new Ace3 versions
Old 03-05-2010   #6
zohar101

First of all I love your addon. Tried quite a few castbars and never were happy with them until I discovered this one.
I have a question though. At the end of the cast, the entire bar will turn green. I am not entirely sure what the green signifies. Successful end of cast?
Also, can this color be changed? Thanks for a great addon

Last edited by zohar101; 03-05-2010 at 02:08 AM.
zohar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7
xbeeps

That's the blizzard code turning it green while it fades away to indicate successfull cast. The standard castbar does that as well. There is not currently any way to change it, but it is not that hard to do. But is it really worth it?
Old 03-05-2010   #8
zohar101

Well no it's definitely not a dealbreaker or anything. I have lived with it so far and it's not biggie if it isn't changed. It's a bit of ocd in me. That hideous green i'd probably change to a nice light shade of blue that's used for casting color. I suspect from your response it requires quite a bit of blizz code change and that means performance issues etc etc. No worries if it isn't really efficient to do.
zohar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010   #9
vorsim

Is it just me or is there a gap between the border and the castbar's top, bottom and right side? Also might be nice if you could customise the icon, size, pos, border all that jazz ;p Still enjoying this addon ofc
vorsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #10
xbeeps

Yes, there is a small gap. What exactly do you want to customize? I don't want to add a lot of customization just because "i can".

Tags
cast, castbars, casting