Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Addon Ideas
Addon Ideas Present your ideas for new addons.

Old 03-15-2010   #1
trotskyicepick

Default Optimum Gear AddOn

Is there an AddOn that can tell me what would be my optimum gear (ie.armour, weapon etc) based on my class, level, skills and talent tree spec?

Cheers
AJ
trotskyicepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #2
Dridzt

Default Re: Optimum Gear AddOn

As far as in-game addons go:
- Pawn
- DressToKill
- TopFit
- ItemScore
- Considerater
- Athene's Upgrade Estimator
- GearWizard
- GearEvaluator
- LootRank
- Wowhead
- Kaliban's Class Loot Lists

Last edited by Dridzt; 03-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Dridzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #3
trotskyicepick

Thnx Dridzt for the suggestions, though I don't think any of those will offer what I would like. I don't want an AddOn that will scan my inventory or bank etc for available armour/weapons, but one that will search a database of available in-game possibilities, then give me the best options.

It has dawned on me that I have GearScore installed, that could be used to check other players loadouts and give me an idea of what to try. The only problem with GearScore is that it only scans into it's database players of lvl80, it does have a config option to set a minimum lvl to be stored but it doesn't seem to work (it doesn't save the value you enter)

Cheers
AJ

Last edited by trotskyicepick; 03-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-15-2010   #4
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

You can try WoWEquip (http://www.wowace.com/addons/wowequip/). It doesn't automatically give you any options or even try to determine upgrades, but they let you see differences in stats when trying on different gear.
Old 03-15-2010   #5
Zidomo
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotskyicepick View Post
I don't want an AddOn that will scan my inventory or bank etc for available armour/weapons, but one that will search a database of available in-game possibilities, then give me the best options.
Not viable, or it likely would have been done already. Would use an obscene amount of memory for that database as well as keeping it updated, etc.. Although if you limited it to PeriodicTable-3.1 data tables, might not be as bad. Anyway...

Most all of those linked you can get tooltip info from. Then look up an item in AtlasLoot Enhanced (or similar) and compare the tooltip values. Write those values down, then look at a different item, etc.. Other ones of that type that works very well: GearGauge & WeightsWatcher. Out of those Dridzt listed, I'd caution against Athene's Upgrade Estimator. Its been about the most persistently full-of-bugs mod I've ever tried.

Other options include looking at the Wow Armory, which will give you a list of "upgrades" for each item slot (not necessarily optimal, though). Wowhead's Item Comparison tool. And probably my favorite: Rawr.

Rawr (an outside-of-WoW program) will accurately give you "best" upgrades for each item slot dependent on your spec, your other gear and so on. It takes far more data into account than any of the existing in-game addons and also provides the "lists of upgrades" functionality you are looking for.
Zidomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #6
trotskyicepick

Thanks everybody. I'm gonna download Rawr now.

I've kind of come to the conclusion the best I could do is try to get GearScore to store other than lvl80 stats and gear details, I'm lvl53 (only been playing since January) and just want an idea as to what other lvl50-60 players are kitted out in, might even be fun trying some combinations of gear that I could find.

Thanks Again
Andrew
Old 03-15-2010   #7
trotskyicepick

Rawr looks great....very complicated though and will take some figuring out ;P and seems to show me gear options that are far beyond my lvl.

Great fun though!!

AJ

Last edited by trotskyicepick; 03-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2010   #8
Zidomo
Amazing Member

Quote:
Thanks everybody. I'm gonna download Rawr now.

I've kind of come to the conclusion the best I could do is try to get GearScore to store other than lvl80 stats and gear details, I'm lvl53 (only been playing since January) and just want an idea as to what other lvl50-60 players are kitted out in, might even be fun trying some combinations of gear that I could find.

Thanks Again
Andrew
Np np. Didn't know what level you were...heh. Yes, Rawr provides full lists of slot upgrades only for level 80 gear. Without question, its the ticket for determining what's the best upgrade route then. But not prior . About your only option for that sort of info prior to 80 is the WoW Armory. Find your character, then click the pullouts next to each slot ("Find an upgrade") to see what is best.

Before level 80...seriously don't worry about it. Use quest reward gear, level up and worry about gear at 80. If you want to see if the quest reward gear you get is better than what you are currently using (or that 2g piece in the AH, or a profession-made piece), use one of the tooltip-info mods mentioned and press SHIFT for comparison tooltips.

In terms of seeing how you compare with others your level (not important, but whatever floats your boat), a better option than GearScore IMO: GearGauge.

Last edited by Zidomo; 03-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Zidomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #9
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

Quote:
Rawr looks great....very complicated though and will take some figuring out ;P and seems to show me gear options that are far beyond my lvl.

Great fun though!!

AJ
Rawr's optimization is only accurate for mages though, due to the accurate internal modeling of casting rotations, a few hundred different proc effects, latency and stuff. For almost every other class, spreadsheets are generally still more accurate than Rawr.
Old 03-16-2010   #10
lilsparky
Amazing Member

i modified my local copy of wowequip to link into pawn and provide gear scores for each item (sorted by highest first). pawn just changed tho, so it's broken now until i get in and plug into the right tables/functions again.

tho i think i'll take a loot at topfit now, which seems to do what i was hoping to with my hack.
lilsparky is offline   Reply With Quote