Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks > Ace2
Ace2 Ace2 framework discussion

Old 09-07-2010   #61
Arkayenro

Default Re: Ace2 End-Of-Life Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
People commiting fixes for Dewdrop but not complaining about big Ace2 breakage probably means it didnt just break, eh?
no so far, but breakage and death are two different things.

Quote:
Alternatively, one could also rip out the Ace2 options tables out of Dewdrop and only offer its manual dropdown building system in a seperate lib, i for one used that back in the day occasionally -- not that i'm missing it now.
for the short term i think im going to need it for my mod, i like menus theyre the right choice sometimes, you cant popup a huge config window to chose an option all the time. some things just dont lend themselves to it.

if i ignore the feed stuff it shouldnt be too hard (i hope) to move it over to being an ace3 lib that can hang around a lot longer until someone writes something better.

i actually thought that aceconfig was going to come with a menu builder option as well, i wouldnt have thought thered be much difference between building a config screen and a menu on screen, just different ways of displaying the data in the table.
Arkayenro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #62
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkayenro View Post
... i like menus theyre the right choice sometimes, you cant popup a huge config window to chose an option all the time. some things just dont lend themselves to it.
The default dropdown menu system is super easy to use. You don't need Dewdrop or any other full-fledged dropdown UI library to implement simple popup menus. Xinhuan even wrote up a detailed how-to guide on these forums.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #63
Arkayenro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
The default dropdown menu system is super easy to use. You don't need Dewdrop or any other full-fledged dropdown UI library to implement simple popup menus. Xinhuan even wrote up a detailed how-to guide on these forums.
hmm, ok, i should probably check that out, but my menus arent always simple though, and can go about 3 levels deep. if i can get them to work with the default system then i suppose thats a bonus, one less lib ill need.

i did move dewdrop over to being ace3/libstub based and it wasnt as hard as i thought it was going to be. i left in the aceoo feed stuff, itd obviously barf if it gets called but im not using them so it didnt matter, it currently works for what i need out of it so far.

im sure theres a gotcha in there somewhere though, i just havent run into it yet. i did have to pull the error and argcheck functions out of the acelibrary lib and into dewdrop (they should probably be cleaned up as well)

Last edited by Arkayenro; 09-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2010   #64
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

I'll give you the link to my UIDropDownMenu tutorial so you don't have to search for it:

http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=15763

It shows some simple menus from Omen and Postal and the actual code written for it, in a step by step manner. Be sure to read all the replies as there are some extra tricks you can do that I've posted as replies.

Postal goes a step further though, by letting each Postal standalone submodule define their own menu function (its own module submenu) which the core addon calls. I didn't bother explaining this in the guide but you might be interested in the code. It's quite simple. A number of Postal's submenus goes 3 layers deep and are all generated dynamically (lists of sorted friend names, etc).

Last edited by Xinhuan; 09-07-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Xinhuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #65
LaoTseu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkayenro View Post
hmm, ok, i should probably check that out, but my menus arent always simple though, and can go about 3 levels deep. if i can get them to work with the default system then i suppose thats a bonus, one less lib ill need.

i did move dewdrop over to being ace3/libstub based and it wasnt as hard as i thought it was going to be. i left in the aceoo feed stuff, itd obviously barf if it gets called but im not using them so it didnt matter, it currently works for what i need out of it so far.

im sure theres a gotcha in there somewhere though, i just havent run into it yet. i did have to pull the error and argcheck functions out of the acelibrary lib and into dewdrop (they should probably be cleaned up as well)
Using EasyMenu or the standard UIDropDrop functions allow for multiple level of menus. I don't know if there is a limit but 3 deep is working fine. More then 3 deep is probably a bad interface design (and some would say same thing with more then 2). The things you will lose form Dewdrop is the capacity to do funky stuff like adding icons and entering string or number and menu that dynamically refresh themselves. Standard sub-menu, checkbox and radio button functionality can be done quite easily.

In my addon, what I did was to have a menu for the simple stuff and use AceConfig3 to create have the more complex stuff along side the simple stuff in Blizzard interface setting menu. I must say that the perspective of doing the Interface Options "by hands" was quite daunting to me and I was quite happy with AceConfig. The port from the Ace2 config structure to the Ace3 one is very straightforward.
LaoTseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #66
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTseu View Post
U<snip>The things you will lose form Dewdrop is the capacity to do funky stuff like adding icons <snip>
Actually, you can still use icons if you include them in the button label as texture escape sequences.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #67
Arkayenro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Actually, you can still use icons if you include them in the button label as texture escape sequences.
i need textures, radio buttons, tick marks, plus input sliders and dynamic content (not all in one menu, but across all the menus i currently have in my mod) so i dont think the basic ones are going to work for me.

one thing i did notice, fixing all the this/self references in dewdrop seems to have fixed that bloody annoying issue with entry (slider, editbox) popout frames hiding as soon as you enter them/leave the parent.

if its ok, could i ask for a branch of dewdrop to get created and myself given access to update it (via svn)? any issues i have with it i'll chuck in a new thread in the lua coding forum and stop clogging up this one.
Old 09-08-2010   #68
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Just go here and click Clone in the upper right corner.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #69
Bethink

This thread reminds me that decommissioning a piece of software is often way more expensive than creating it.
Bethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #70
tennberg

@Phanx:

It wasn't my intent to have that post on my Ace2 error in 4.0.1 go where it did.

It's challenging to continue using mods that are quite popular even today yet still rely on Ace2. I realize authors have had months, if not longer, to get their mods moved to Ace3. Do these authors think that no one uses their mod so why update it? Do they think that another similar mod (that doesn't use Ace2) will eventually come along and everyone will move to it? Is it just sheer laziness?

While I am unsure how many current mods still rely on Ace2, I know that two mods I still use do - AtlasLoot and ElkBuffBars. I know Elkano said he/she will be getting an updated 4.0.1 version out. Whether or not it will still use Ace2 remains to be seen.

The AtlasLoot authors said that AL won't be moving to Ace3 until December with AtlasLoot v6. Ugh.
tennberg is offline   Reply With Quote