Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Raid AddOns
Raid AddOns BigWigs, LittleWigs, oRA2, Omen, etc..

Old 08-11-2010   #1
Humbedooh

Post Grapple [Official thread and all that jazz]

Oh hai there!
With Grapple being (somewhat) stable and not spewing out molten hot lava anymore, I thought I'd make a post here, so people could see what I've been working on. I'll start with a bit of cut'n'paste from the project site:

Quote:
Grapple is a tool for monitoring real-time performance of players in raids and battlegrounds for evaluation or simple curiosity. Based on a per-fight or per-session time-span, Grapple collects information about each raider's survivability, activityand focus and displays it in an intuitive and ordered manner.

Player performance is measured against both general mathematical performance principles as well as specific sub-class standards (f.x. various talent builds and roles) and overall raid performance, or in short: Grapple shows how focused and responsive you perform in a fight compared to how you could perform.

The displayed scoreboard also allows for further in-depth analysis of players' performance as the fight progresses through a graphical display of the change in performance scores as the fight evolves, as well as a tracking function for players and mobs dying in combat.
The project site can be found here: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/grapple/

My initial intention with Grapple was to counter the wave of people obsessed with GearScore and Recount/Skada/whatever and the idea, that those figures alone could account for a player's performance and skills. Grapple looks at performance from an alternate point of view, more specific; If you have Gear A and you do Damage B...how did you get from A to B?. It does so by completely disregarding both gear and damage, threat or healing output and focuses on the interactions between the player and the fight based on what should be expected of him/her.

There is also an explanation of the math behind the scores on the project site, and although it may look fancy and all, it's most definitely a fuzzy work in progress. As such, I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have on how to improve it.

I could show you a screenshot of the add-on here, but it wouldn't explain nearly as much as you would get from actually trying it out....so go do that!

Last edited by Phanx; 08-12-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Use bold or italic tags to emphasize text, not light colors that aren't readable on the forum's default theme.
Humbedooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #2
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

Default Re: Grapple [Official thread and all that jazz]

It surely looks quite interesting. I would give it a shot, but i don't actively raid anymore right now (or play much at all for that matter), but i'll keep your addon in mind when i return to playing with cataclysm.

Good job!

One thing though, please remove the library files from your repository and use the .pkgmeta to manage them properly. The "Externals" in the .pkgmeta basically instruct the CurseForge packager to grab a copy of the libraries when its creating a zip.
You can read about it here:
http://kb.curseforge.com/projects/pkgmeta-file/
Feel free to ask when you have any questions.

Last edited by Nevcairiel; 08-12-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #3
Humbedooh

Somewhere on a mountain top, Humbedooh's mother is screaming "Don't encourage the boy!!" right now.

Thanks for the tip - I've added the pkgmeta hocus-pocus now and it seems to actually work .

I wanna just add, that paladins may experience their scores going a bit up and down depending on fights, as WoW has this weird idea about certain spells not being actual spells, especially paladin judgements, so the activity score may not always reflect the actual activity. It's being worked on though!
Old 08-12-2010   #4
Nickenyfiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbedooh View Post
Thanks for the tip - I've added the pkgmeta hocus-pocus now and it seems to actually work .
You added a .pkgmeta, but you didn't remove the Libs directory. If you use TortoiseSVN, right click the Libs folder and select delete under the TortoiseSVN submenu. Then check in your changes again.

Interesting addon. But I'm currently not raiding either.
Nickenyfiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #5
Humbedooh

Yeah, that part bugged me a bit, since it kept complaining that I couldn't delete the folder no matter what I tried. I think I managed to get it to follow my instructions now.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-12-2010   #6
Nickenyfiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbedooh View Post
Yeah, that part bugged me a bit, since it kept complaining that I couldn't delete the folder no matter what I tried. I think I managed to get it to follow my instructions now.

Thanks for the tip!
Yep, but then you added LibGraph-2.0 in Libs folder :-S

EDIT: Nevermind I saw it was custom version of the lib.
Nickenyfiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #7
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Custom versions of libs can cause problems if not done right, by overwriting the official version of said lib...this could cause undesirable effects in other AddOns.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #8
Humbedooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Custom versions of libs can cause problems if not done right, by overwriting the official version of said lib...this could cause undesirable effects in other AddOns.
The files themselves are not changed, only the paths.
LibGraph-2.0 has a caveat in it where it won't run if it's put into "LibGraph-2.0\LibGraph-2.0" (which is the default path for the lib), so instead I've had to change the path to make it work.
Old 08-12-2010   #9
Torhal

Send a message via ICQ to Torhal

Show your .pkgmeta and your ToC file. There is no reason to hard-embed a library into the repo to do what you want to do.

Author/Maintainer of Archy, Ackis Recipe List, Revelation, Spamalyzer, Volumizer, and many other AddOns.
Torhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #10
Humbedooh

You, Sir, are a nitpicker!

Quote:
package-as: Grapple

manual-changelog:
filename: Docs/Changelog.txt
markup-type: creole

externals:
Libs/LibStub: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/libstub/mainline/trunk
Libs/CallbackHandler-1.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/callbackhandler/mainline/trunk/CallbackHandler-1.0
Libs/AceAddon-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceAddon-3.0
Libs/AceComm-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceComm-3.0
Libs/AceConfig-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceConfig-3.0
Libs/AceConsole-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceConsole-3.0
Libs/AceDB-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceDB-3.0
Libs/AceEvent-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceEvent-3.0
Libs/AceGUI-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceGUI-3.0
Libs/AceLocale-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceLocale-3.0
Libs/AceTimer-3.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/ace3/mainline/trunk/AceTimer-3.0
Libs/LibGraph-2.0: svn://svn.wowace.com/wow/libgraph-2-0/mainline/trunk

move-folders:
Grapple/Libs/LibGraph-2.0/LibGraph-2.0: Grapple/Libs/LibGraph-2.0

ignore:
- .pkgmeta
- Docs

enable-nolib-creation: no
After turning my hair grey and then a purplish...yellow, I got the pkgmeta stuff doing almost what I wanted, except I can't get rid of the .toc file from LibGraph no matter how hard I try - but oh well, it's not hurting anyone I guess.

Last edited by Humbedooh; 08-12-2010 at 08:37 PM.