Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 12-01-2010   #21
inthedrops

Default Re: Hermes: The great messenger of your raid's cooldowns

Tonight I was able to get more guild members to help test Hermes. Nine of us total. I ran it for 1 hour and 45 minutes before we finished the raid. These were ICC fights including Sindragosa and LK normal (we were finishing up some achievements for people). I can't recall when I last reloaded UI and what bosses were there beforehand.

Keep in mind that I discovered two bugs during this so it was very successful.

1. First bug was that I neglected to filter out disabled spells when receivers send requests to senders. That will result in some unnecessary messages but I couldn't say how much so I didn't try to subtract it out. My guess is 4 or 5 at most per player in this time span.
2. Second bug is that Hermes doesn't handle the cooldown for DK's Army of the Dead properly. I suspect there will be other DK spells with the same issue but that was the only one that I traced down.

Here is a screenshot showing the results in terms of bandwidth. It's difficult to make any conclusions from these because there are a lot of variables. But I am pleased with the results.

(I'm not sure what's up with the oRA3 numbers, they surprised me, I've only briefly looked at their code)
inthedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #22
inthedrops

Release 1.0a fixes the two communication bugs mentioned above.

I want to give a personal thank you to Tomber and his mod Raven. His code, and a brief conversation with him allowed me to fully understand the DK problem. I reviewed a lot of addons to see how they solved the problem and Raven appeared to have the most reliable and true approach. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2010   #23
inthedrops

Just a quick update to say that Hermes has really been coming along nicely and the feedback has been positive. Slowly but surely I'm hacking away at the bugs and making new bugs with new features

Some recent highlights include:
1. Significant CPU reduction by eliminating unnecessary table sorting.
2. Significant Message frequency reduction during initial handshaking using multiple techniques. Especially when first joining a raid with 25 others using Hermes.
3. Small features here and there such as color coded button borders and integration with 3rd party combat text addons (such as Parrot, SCT, and MikScrollingBattleText).
4. Tweaked the tooltip a bit to reduce intermittant display jitter from some colspan issues.

At this point I'm extremely happy with the CPU and memory performance. CPU is so insignificant that it's great. And with all the tweaks I've made to the messaging system I feel like I've made a lot of positive ground there as well. I feel very strongly about the stability Hermes offers.

There seems to be a decent user base over at dual-boxing.com. I've been trying to accommodate their needs when possible but the priority remains raiding.
Old 02-05-2011   #24
inthedrops

It's been a long time since I posted. I haven't needed to make many updates but did a few recently worth noting:

1. Improved how Soulstones are tracked so that it meets user expectations.
2. Tic-Tacs show the remaining time for each player now.
3. Easy to reload spell defaults in case you deleted a bunch or upgraded and want to grab newly added ones (upgrades don't add them by default)
4. Added some more defaults for Cataclysm spells.

I am in a 25 man guild and we have about 15 to 18 people who run Hermes on a regular basis. It's pretty solid. Been using it since initial Cataclysm release and we're 4/12 into hardmodes. It hasn't caused any issues or reasons for concern.
Old 05-25-2011   #25
inthedrops

I'm seeking assistance from a couple people outside of my guild to help test some recent Hermes changes. I don't know if there's anyone familiar with (uses) Hermes, but if you are and do, I'd love some alpha testers.

I added support to monitor combat log for non Hermes users. It's a complex feature with a lot of interesting sync'ing going on. I'm currently concerned with accuracy and not performance.

I believe the biggest issue is that this new feature is going to be confusing to use and configure. That's where I'd like the most feedback. Thanks for any help you can give. I'm purposefully being vague and not giving much detail. Hoping for a blind test I guess

This version is a good one to use for now: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/hermes/files/65-r67/
Old 07-20-2011   #26
inthedrops

Hermes has been very successful. It's essentially become the standard for managing raid cooldowns. However, life has come up and I must quit the game, which means I cannot support the addon anymore on an active basis (I won't have an active account).

I am seeking an author to take over Hermes support. I will provide as much support as needed from a consulting or "how does this work?" perspective, but no actual coding.

Please post here or send me a PM if you're serious about taking over Hermes. It's a considerably sized addon with many thousands of lines of code. However, it's pretty stable right now.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/hermes/