Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks > Ace3
Ace3 Ace3 framework discussion

Old 11-25-2010   #11
Arkayenro

Default Re: AceDB Resetting, Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithulhu View Post
I've had a few more people get back to me on it as well, it looks like its very intermittant, one friend who is an altoholic was playing for the last 2 days with no issues, but today suddenly the DB was gone and this time ReloadUI did nothing to fix it and i've still yet to have the problem myself.
ive had the same thing reported to me for my mod over its lifespan, part or all of the database is just gone on one toon, it was working fine before and then they login and its gone, you dont even have to have changed the mod in any way. but ive never experienced it myself. i've always put it down to a corrupt savedvariables file but i would have thought that would have generated an error of some sort.
Arkayenro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #12
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Profile resetting doesn't affect the "global" section of your DB.

If you do:
Code:
self.db = LibStub("AceDB-3.0"):New("MyAddonDB")
You have this:
Code:
self.db = {
	char = { },
	realm = { },
	class = { },
	race = { },
	faction = { },
	factionrealm = { },
	global = { },
	profile = { },
}
Note that the "char", "realm", and "class" sections of the database are NOT profiles. While AceDB defualts to "character-specific profiles" this is done using the "profile" section of the database, NOT the "char" section. The "char" section is for data that's only accessible from the current character. A "character-specific" profile is still a profile, and can be used by other characters.

The only section of the database that is affected by a profile change (including creating a new profile, switching to a different profile, resetting a profile, or deleting a profile) is the "profile" section.

As for the mysterious resetting, there may be an actual cause for it in your code, but since you didn't post all of your code, there's no way for anyone but you to look into that. It's also possible that the people reporting "halp my settingz is gone" are failing to mention that WoW crashed or they quit WoW by pressing Alt-F4. If the game client doesn't quit normally, it doesn't go through the "shutdown" process that includes writing saved variables to disk.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #13
Kithulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
As for the mysterious resetting, there may be an actual cause for it in your code, but since you didn't post all of your code, there's no way for anyone but you to look into that. It's also possible that the people reporting "halp my settingz is gone" are failing to mention that WoW crashed or they quit WoW by pressing Alt-F4. If the game client doesn't quit normally, it doesn't go through the "shutdown" process that includes writing saved variables to disk.
I didn't want to post the whole mod, but if you're willing, the code is downloadable in the mod itself (ShivvAudio on Curse(forge)) though I went through it myself looking for anything that alters things in the .global table and the only things were additions/deltions in the form of self.db.global.mediaDB[var] = {} (or nil).

Could it be a timing issue with WoW and Ace3 where somethings maybe aren't entirely loaded by the time Mod:OnInitialize() is called, so dumping it down to OnEnable would be beneficial? Or more to the point, is there anything that will go wrong if the db is setup in Enable instead of Init (of course, assuming I don't look at anything til OnEnable which is currently the case anyhow).
Kithulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #14
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithulhu View Post
Could it be a timing issue with WoW and Ace3 where somethings maybe aren't entirely loaded by the time Mod:OnInitialize() is called, so dumping it down to OnEnable would be beneficial?
Beside some corner cases, it shouldn't. mod:OnInitialize is run when the ADDON_LOADED event is received. At this point, the saved variables are available (that the point of that event).

Quote:
Or more to the point, is there anything that will go wrong if the db is setup in Enable instead of Init (of course, assuming I don't look at anything til OnEnable which is currently the case anyhow).
As long as you never enable/disable the addon, nothing wrong should happen.

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Adirelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #15
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

One thing that can and will break it is calling LoadAddon in your main chunk, that is outside of any functions. If you must load some other addon, just put up a dependency, or load it in OnInit or even later.
Old 11-25-2010   #16
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
load it in OnInit or even later.
You shouldn't be able to load any addon with LoadAddOn before PLAYER_LOGIN (e.g. OnEnable) anyway.

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Adirelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #17
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

Where did you get that wisdom?
You can LoadAddOn whenever you wish, and it will load that addon just fine.
It will just break the AceAddon initialization logic if too many ADDON_LOADED fire in a weird order.
Old 11-25-2010   #18
Dridzt

If you mean a user created addon then it should "mostly" be fine.

It's definitely a bad idea to force load Blizzard_* load on demand addons too early blindly.

If you want a specific example look at addons that were force loading Blizzard_GuildUI too early and in the process breaking the in-game Calendar.

So no.. it's not a good idea to just load whenever you want whenever you want with no qualification.

That's probably not what you meant but last post came out as "LoadAddOn() whenever you wish it's fine"
Dridzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #19
Xinhuan
Asian Sheep Lover

If you want a Blizzard_* addon to load before yours, you either

A) RequiredDeps it

Or

B) Make your addon LoadOnDemand, and put that Blizzard_* addon as a LoadWith entry.
Old 11-25-2010   #20
Dridzt

(B) is good, (A) is bad.

A is exactly what broke guild events in calendar for a bunch of people.

C. register ADDON_LOADED, watch for "Blizzard_*" as arg and do whatever you needed from the Blizz LoD addon after it loads.
Dridzt is offline   Reply With Quote