Go Back   WowAce Forums > World of Warcraft > Project Discussion
Project Discussion The place to come and talk about projects for this game.

Old 08-26-2011   #1
Ghettogreen

Lightbulb Project Invitation: AutoQuest Framework

Anyone interested in developing a framework used for creating quest-related plugins and mods? I have everything planned out and could use some help getting started and keeping everything maintained.

So, about a year ago I created a mod called AutoQuest 2 which turned out to be very popular. The idea came when I was doing some old quests and got tired of having to click through all the gossip dialog frames. After a bit of experimenting, I found that the WoW API supported the automation of interacting with questgivers.

My original AutoQuest 2 mod is still being used and while it still works even a year later, there are a few bugs that I never fixed and is out of date. The plan was to create an entirely new library and split the mod into modules that can be loaded on demand. This would also offer a framework for others to create customized mods for Autoquest.

Here's the Curseforge development page http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/autoquest-framework/

I have git all set up and if anyone wants to help out with development, I'd be glad to share the repository info. Let me know what your guys think and if there is any interest in getting started with this project!
Ghettogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #2
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: Project Invitation: AutoQuest Framework

Sounds like you're seriously overcomplicating things. You don't need a framework and module system for something as simple as automating quest dialogs. There are dozens of existing addons that automate quest pickups and turnins, and all of the ones I've looked at are (or at least the parts of them related to quests are) much smaller than yours.

Rather than trying to bloat your project further, why not just rewrite the original addon more concisely or, if you're not interested in maintaining it anymore, just direct users to any of the other similar addons that are actively maintained by their authors?

Also, I'm not really sure what kind of "customized mods" you expect people to write. Quest automation is a pretty minor feature, really, and there's only so much you can do in that category. Just put all the features you think are useful in your addon. If other people want other features, there are plenty of other addons for them to choose from.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developers, framework, invitation, library, quest