Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Old 10-16-2011   #1
dpsgnome

Default Possible change to AddonLoader "delayed" loading

As per http://www.wowace.com/addons/addon-l...-combat-false/ (but read comments, not ticket),

I'm considering changing "X-LoadOn-Always: delayed" behavior slightly to make "delayed" mean "not in combat".

This would be a slightly incompatible change, since IF you want something loaded when you log on into combat (think crash/disconnect in a bossfight), you would have to explicitly add a condition to load it during combat.

If there's anyone wildly against this, please say so here or in the ticket.

To everyone else using delayed loading: consider adding "X-LoadOn-Combat: true" already if your addon is important for combat. It's even a good-ish idea without the change.
Old 10-16-2011   #2
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Default Re: Possible change to AddonLoader "delayed" loading

Will delayed addons still be loaded "slowly", one at a time ? If yes, this seems fine to me.

I'm also wondering if "X-LoadOn-Combat: true" does load the addon before the combat lock up, so they can create any needed secure frames (or whatever cannot be done in combat).

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Adirelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #3
dpsgnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirelle View Post
Will delayed addons still be loaded "slowly", one at a time ? If yes, this seems fine to me.
Of course. It would simply "pause" the procedure during combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirelle View Post
I'm also wondering if "X-LoadOn-Combat: true" does load the addon before the combat lock up, so they can create any needed secure frames (or whatever cannot be done in combat).
Good question - it "should" since it does all the processing and loading inside the event for PLAYER_REGEN_DISABLED (where we should be able to do noncombat stuff still, according to Blizzard), but I for one haven't actually tested that it works, and I have to admit that it IS somewhat of a special case with going ahead and loading a whole addon inside the event handler.
Old 10-16-2011   #4
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

If your addon needs to make sure that it is created early enough to work after a login in combat, i would suggest to just not delay its loading.
Old 10-16-2011   #5
Adirelle
Legendary Member

Fair enough.

Each time you hit your "copy" command with a block of code, think about a way to refactor it so it did what you want without using the "paste" command.
Adirelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #6
Tekkub
Wiki Master

I'm with Nevvy, it's rare for you to *need* to load properly in combat, so if you do you should be taking extra steps to ensure that works in the first place. Using both delayed and combat triggers will probably cover you, then if you log in mid-combat it loads immediately, otherwise it loads delayed.
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addonloader lod delayed