Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > General AddOns
General AddOns Authors, post your release ready addons here to get feedback or just to let everyone know about it.

Old 08-23-2012   #1
kunda

Default CharPrivacy

http://www.wowace.com/addons/charprivacy/

Update:
Important Note:
The current Blizzard implementation has a critical design error: The "Display Only Character Achievements to Others" options does not include the pets and mounts section, which means that it's possible to create an unique account-fingerprint with this 2 datasets! This means also that this addon is useless because of this Blizzard bug. This also means that you can do nothing to avoid an account-fingerprint and so everybody can see all characters from an account (level 10+).

Code:
-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
-- CharPrivacy by kunda                                                       --
-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
--                                                                            --
-- With Mists of Pandaria it's possible to get all characters from an account --
-- via 'data-mining' the armory using the 'Community Platform API'.           --
-- This is possible by matching account-wide achievements (which can produce  --
-- a unique account-fingerprint) between different character-datasets.        --
-- Prior Mists of Pandaria this was NOT possible!                             --
--                                                                            --
-- Blizzard added an option to disable such 'data-mining'-actions, BUT this   --
-- option is DISABLED by DEFAULT.                                             --
-- You need to ENABLE "Display Only Character Achievements to Others" with    --
-- each character (Interface -> Game -> Display).                             --
-- This addon simply checks if you have enabled this option. If this option   --
-- is disabled this addon automatically enables it and shows a message in     --
-- chat.                                                                      --
-- Blizzard MUST ENABLE this option by DEFAULT, or better:                    --
-- change logic, change text and make a real OPT-IN feature.                  --
Download:
http://www.wowace.com/addons/charprivacy/files/

Last edited by kunda; 10-07-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: update
kunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #2
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Default Re: CharPrivacy

I was going to write exactly the same addon. Guess I don't have to do it now.

On a side note, "data-determining" should probably be "data-mining". I guess the former is technically accurate, but the latter is the usual term for it in English.

Edit: Added translations for esES, esMX, frFR, itIT, ptBR, ruRU in r5. Russian probably reads like a two-year old wrote it, but I guess it's better than nothing. Can't do Korean or Chinese though, sorry.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!

Last edited by Phanx; 08-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #3
kunda

Well, I tried to mix "data-mining" (collect information) and "determine" (find relations between information)...but you are right.
Old 11-08-2012   #4
gamingfossil

Kunda, never mind mounts and pets. Your account activity and achievements/achievement history will also appear on all characters and there's nothing you can do to avoid it. I filed a complaint with Blizzard but heaven only knows how long it's going to take, if they even bother to fix it at all. "It's not a bug, it's a feature," the latest way an unscrupulous programmer expects to be able to ram a sequoia tree up your rear-end and demand you thank them for it.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but, what can people do with this account fingerprint when they have it? And can just any Tom, Dick or Harry among the player population get the tools to acquire this fingerprint?
gamingfossil is offline   Reply With Quote