Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Unit Frames > Grid & Grid2
Grid & Grid2 Discussions regarding Grid & Grid2 goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2010   #3031
sayntavarice

Default Re: Grid

Phanx, here's the error for GridAlert, there are other modules inside aggro.lua and detox.lua - I didn't have any luck fixing them.

Code:
1x GridAlert-42\GridAlert.lua:417: attempt to index global 'GridStatus' (a nil value)
Old 05-03-2010   #3032
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Code:
local GridStatus = Grid:GetModule("GridStatus")
Add it to the top of each file.

As Jerry, the author of GridAlert, is fairly active on the forums, I'd tend to take the view that he's no longer maintaining it, and won't update it myself, but you should be able to fix your local copy fairly easily.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!
Old 05-03-2010   #3033
jerry
Amazing Member

Since I uninstalled Grid, I haven't used GridAlert. I do not plan to update it, as blindly doing so might be more hurtful than anything else. People interested in taking ownership can ask for it.
Old 05-04-2010   #3034
sayntavarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Code:
local GridStatus = Grid:GetModule("GridStatus")
Add it to the top of each file.

As Jerry, the author of GridAlert, is fairly active on the forums, I'd tend to take the view that he's no longer maintaining it, and won't update it myself, but you should be able to fix your local copy fairly easily.
New errors... any suggestion for a replacement, or maybe someone else will pick it up hopefully...

Code:
1x GridAlert-42\GridAlert.lua:450: attempt to index global 'GridRoster' (a nil value)
Grid-1.30300.1290\GridStatusHealth.lua:261: in function `UpdateUnit'
Grid-1.30300.1290\GridStatusHealth.lua:195: in function `Grid_UnitJoined'
Grid-1.30300.1290\GridStatusHealth.lua:188: in function <Grid\GridStatusHealth.lua:186>
lots of other errors with GridRoster

Last edited by sayntavarice; 05-04-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2010   #3035
Dridzt

Same treatment for 'GridRoster'.

Code:
local GridRoster = Grid:GetModule("GridRoster")
at the top of files referencing it.
Old 05-05-2010   #3036
Seajewel

I am using the most recent release version on wowinterface.com: 1.30300.1290. I also had the same issue with the most recent alpha release.

I'm having an issue that puzzles me. I noticed that when people died, I couldn't tell if they were in range any more. The only thing I had checked for Frame Alpha was "More than 40 yards away." The options I had for range were 10 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, and 100 yards. I noticed the dead person range problem only occurred for 30 and 40 yard range checks.

But when I logged on to a different toon, the range checks I could do were 10 yards, 28, 38, and 100. Both toons were set to "Default" Profile.

i looked through the gridRange.lua file in the actual grid folder (not saved variables) and noticed that it only has a setup for 10, 28, 38, and 100. When I manually added:

local function checkRange40(unit)
return UnitInRange(unit)
end

and addRange(40, checkRange40)

it fixed not being able to tell the range of dead people issue.

However, puzzled by the issue of having different range checks on different characters, I decided to wipe clean my grid and try starting it over (I was due for a fresh setup anyways). I backed up my grid.lua in Saved Variables and deleted everything and reinstalled everything.

And then I realized: I could no longer find Center Text 2 as one of my Frame options. I vaguely seem to recall having had an extra mod like GridCenterText2 or something previously, but I definitely don't have it any more, nor can I find it anywhere on the internet. I ended up having to restore my grid.lua file in Saved Variables to get CenterText2 back again, and deal with the strange range issue by editing GridRange.lua again.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-05-2010   #3037
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

1. Frame > Advanced > Enable Center Text 2 indicator

2. The ranges you're seeing are normal. GridRange only directly registers checks for 10 yards, 28 yards, 38 yards, and 100 yards because those are the only ranges that the API allows addons to check directly. All other ranges require a spell or item with the desired range, and range checking is done by using the IsSpellInRange API to determine if the spell is in range of a given unit., which is why you only see a 40-yard range check on characters that have a spell with a range of 40 yards.

The UnitInRange function checks for ~38 yards, which is why there is a default range check of 38 yards available to all characters, so effectively the code you added just duplicated the 38-yard range check under a misleading name.

Grid attempts to be smart about things, and not register both a 38-yard range check and a 40-yard range check, which is why you see the 40-yard check available on characters with a spell that can be used to check a range of 40 yards, but see the 38-yard check available on characters that do not. The same thing is done with the default 28-yard range check, which uses the CheckInteractDistance API to query whether the unit is in range to be followed, and the 30-yard range check ,which requires a spell.

This means that if you want all of your characters to use a 38-40 yard range check, you should enable the 40-yard check on characters with a spell that can be used to check that range (eg. an unmodified copy of Grid has a 40-yard range check available in the configuration menus) and enable the 38-yard check on other characters. GridRange will only load one or the other, not both, depending on what is available for the current character, so this will not result in the same performance overhead as enabling, say, a 40-yard range check and a 100-yard range check on the same character.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!

Last edited by Phanx; 05-05-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2010   #3038
Seajewel

Thank you for the detailed response. What about the range and dead people issue? Is my quick hotfix the way to go? when people died (or even myself) and didn't release, the frame alpha automatically greyed them out if I only used 30 or 40 yard range check, even if the bodies were still in range for Rez.
Old 05-05-2010   #3039
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Without knowing anything about your particular settings, it's impossible to say exactly why you're seeing this issue (range checking works fine on corpses for me), but a simple solution would be to make sure that the alpha for the Dead status is at 100% and then assign it to the Frame Alpha indicator with a higher priority than the range check.
Old 05-06-2010   #3040
Seajewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Without knowing anything about your particular settings, it's impossible to say exactly why you're seeing this issue (range checking works fine on corpses for me), but a simple solution would be to make sure that the alpha for the Dead status is at 100% and then assign it to the Frame Alpha indicator with a higher priority than the range check.
Wouldn't that just mean I can't tell when bodies are in range at all?
Closed Thread

Tags
grid