Go Back   WowAce Forums > Official Addon Threads > Unit Frames > Grid & Grid2
Grid & Grid2 Discussions regarding Grid & Grid2 goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006   #601
merentar

Default Re: Grid

@ Renew : The reason why you see this is that in 1 of the libs there is code to check if Version>2 (WoW 2.0) then the SETN = empty function.

The PTR servers are version 0.0XXX something.

If you remove the version check and just put SETN to a empty function it will work perfectly.

Just wait for LIVE 2.0 to kick in and you will no longer have this error with your current version
Old 12-04-2006   #602
Renew

This was probably covered and I just didnt pay attention ty
Old 12-04-2006   #603
Awina

Pasta:

Thanks so much for this response earlier:

"My raidgroup has healing assignments, even for trash, so knowing the three lowest health, in-range units isn't useful to me.* I don't want to derail this into a discussion of raid organization or healing tactics and I don't feel that it belongs in the core Grid package.* Add it to the wishlist and perhaps someone else will create it for you."

I won't post after this one, as I agree we don't need to get into a healing strategy discussion, and I will definitely add it to the wish list as you suggested.

Please allow me this one chance to change your mind, however. No response necessary of course

For background I am perhaps the top healer for our guild which is currently working on Faerlina, who goes down tonight lol.

Probably the number one reason to use Grid in TBC is for healing/decursing. It has many other purposes, but healing is the key given the new changes. In this regard it is already much better than healing off of CT_Raid frames. For that, I thank you and your broader team.

That being said, the key for any Mod like this is QUICK IDENTIFICATION of the OPTIMAL TARGET.

For decursing all targets are essentially of similar importance, and it is easy to watch a few of the key targets like MT or MT healers, etc, using this mod.

For healing, however, there is a BIG DISPARITY in the differentiation of key targets. Someone at 5% health needs healing more than someone at 10% and so forth. Having only two thresholds to set health targets at with Grid leaves too many gaps and too many visual signals to identify the OPTIMAL target quickly - ie: the guy who is going to die.

Going with focused groups for the healers is not a bad idea (helps with overhealing % for example), but it would seem to help the poor healers and curtail the good healers. I heal all over the raid, and yet hardly ever drop someone in my party. If I was always OOM or losing my priority targets then this would be a bad thing. But I am not. I can save quite a few people in my raid from dying using current methods, but if I lose my tools to identify the optimal targets then I truly will be losing about 10-20% of my capacity as a healer. There is no way around this.

I know how much I heal and how often I lose targets. I am not an Emer Meter spammer per se, and I don't recommend my methods for everyone. However, I think the functionality I ask for could be so helpful to so many people. Just because your team uses the focus group strategy shouldn't force the rest of us to not get this functionality, right? I doubt I'm in such a small niche of the healer world

Sorry for the long commentary, lol. Great mod and I really do appreciate it. I'll add this to the wishlist. Thanks for listening.

-Awina
Azjol Nerub
Brotherhood of Metal
Old 12-04-2006   #604
Pastamancer
Speaks only for himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awina
<words>
Let me make some suggestions, since you haven't added it to the wish list page yet.

Let's call the proposed new mod GridStatusHealPriority.

Requirements:
* Identify the n (let's start with n=3) highest-priority heal targets

Factors in priority decision-making:
* unit health: deficit, remaining
* damage taken rate (over the past t (i=2 ?) seconds)
* healing received rate (over the past t (i=2 ?) seconds)
* aggro status
* incoming heals from other players
* user defined priority per-class/group/unit
* range from player to unit
* debuffs that reduce healing (mortal strike, etc.)
* short-term defensive buffs (last stand, evasion, shield wall, pally bubble)

How priority is calculated:
* priority = how likely is it that the unit will die in the next 3 seconds * user-defined priority for this unit * is the unit in range
Old 12-04-2006   #605
Awina

Thanks, PM.

Added to the Wish List. Thanks for the value added requirements. That takes it further than my simple mind would have taken it.
Old 12-05-2006   #606
Awina

One last note:

Perhaps it is just me, and/or been posted already, but about 1 out of every 8 clicks on a raid member will result in a non-selection due to the nameplate I believe being non-targetable. Perhaps I can change this myself or lower the strata of the nameplate, I'm not sure.

This is using Grid on the live server, so perhaps that is the issue. If not, it could cause deaths due to starting a heal on my old target thinking I had gotten my new one in the haste of battle.

Disregard if this has been covered or if it is because I'm an idiot. Just FYI otherwise. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006   #607
Pastamancer
Speaks only for himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awina
One last note:

Perhaps it is just me, and/or been posted already, but about 1 out of every 8 clicks on a raid member will result in a non-selection due to the nameplate I believe being non-targetable. Perhaps I can change this myself or lower the strata of the nameplate, I'm not sure.
I've never encountered this, but the OnClick code is completely different in 2.0, so let me know if you still have problems after the patch.
Old 12-05-2006   #608
trankillity

Playing a Druid, I personally *hate* healing priority/emergency monitor type addons as it just promotes overhealing. It's especially bad specifically as a Druid because our main heal is 3s cast and it's rare that we actually get to use it (except with NS). I'm really looking forward to having specific healing/decursing assignments as it will enable me to focus on being better at healing a small portion rather than healing an entire raid.

I'd definitely want this functionality to be a separate, non-compulsory addon for Grid.
Old 12-06-2006   #609
KiraDouji

30 pages is a lot to read through, so could someone tell me if this addon can sort people according to class yet? Thanks <3

- Kira
Old 12-06-2006   #610
ZealotOnAStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraDouji
30 pages is a lot to read through, so could someone tell me if this addon can sort people according to class yet? Thanks <3

- Kira
Yes, and as far as I know, it's always been able to since it's been released in beta format. There's specifically a "By Class" layout option.

Before the wrath of others' hits you . . . why don't you read the bloody Wiki page, or even better yet, just download it and fiddle with the options yourself?

Tags
grid