Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2007   #21
Ackis
Dry-Code Hero

Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via MSN to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis
Default Re: Suggestion: Rock and Dongle addons forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionShock
true.. but some people you look at their post count and you want to just beat them with a clue-by-4 and fore them to read threads and wiki till their eyes bleed that way they can ask an educated question in the dev corner. meh ... lesser of 2 evils i guess.
And sometimes you spend 2 hours looking up something, then 2 hours debugging code to find out a 2 second answer from someone fixed everything.

I liked the idea of a classroom type forum, however it wasn't frequented by many people it seemed. And the wiki for the API could use some more examples (IMO), however I guess people can get around that with actually having WoW installed on their PC and being able to test things out. /shrug
Old 09-19-2007   #22
funkydude
Administrator

I'm thinking there will be an ace3 addons forum where people can discuss releases and bugs. The other addons forum will contain the old ace2 addons, its more of an 'everything else' forum really. No, its not framework restricted.
Old 09-19-2007   #23
Bobbywich

But won't that contribute to the framework bias? It makes sense to me to have just one forum for all addon releases and then in the specific addon thread, the author could state that his addon uses x framework.
Old 09-19-2007   #24
Samala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobwich III
But won't that contribute to the framework bias? It makes sense to me to have just one forum for all addon releases and then in the specific addon thread, the author could state that his addon uses x framework.
I agree with this. If you separate the Addons by Framework you are promoting the Framework bias that most here are against.
Old 09-19-2007   #25
funkydude
Administrator

Yes but there needs to be a separation from old addons v the new ones in the future.
Old 09-19-2007   #26
Tekkub
Wiki Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydude
Yes but there needs to be a separation from old addons v the new ones in the future.
I don't really think so... but then I spend 99% of my time in the "unread posts" view so I never see any of this sub-forum structure.

If you want old addons archived off, then just archive off the Ace2 forum and move everything into a simple "addons" forum with the specific subforums for fubar/etc.
Old 09-19-2007   #27
ellipsis
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
If you want old addons archived off, then just archive off the Ace2 forum and move everything into a simple "addons" forum with the specific subforums for fubar/etc.
/agree, especially given the fact that an addon can switch frameworks, while it's relatively unlikely to switch categories.

Splitting the forums up by addon purpose seems logical and much easier for users to find what they're looking for, especially if it's done by TOC categories.

Right now, Joe User downloads PitBull and has a question. Joe comes to the forum for help and can't figure out whether to post in "Ace2 Addons", "Ace2 Addons"/"Unit Frames", or "Framework Free/Other Addons". Then Joe's friend who recommended PitBull in the first place tells him it uses "Rock," but Joe doesn't see a "Rock Addons" category, so he just posts it wherever he feels like, with a message along the lines of "please move this wherever it belongs" - or worse, he notices "Frameworks"/"Rock" and posts there. That's bad.

Ideally he'd come to the forums, see "Unit Frames," and look there directly. Even if he didn't know what Unit Frames were (!) he could post in the general "Addons" forum and the post would be seen and moved to the right place.
Old 09-19-2007   #28
Seerah
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
Same way as is done with the old Ace(1) forums/addons.
Old 09-20-2007   #29
funkydude
Administrator

Better?
Old 09-20-2007   #30
Bobbywich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydude
Better?
Perfect, thanks.