Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Old 09-25-2007   #51
Elkano
Super Moderator

Default Re: Having several frameworks running at the same time

addon conflict can start with something as simple as slash commands.

wrt libraries there shouldn't be problems if the authors of the library made sure that anythink breaking old behaviour results in a push of the major version so it will only get to those addons coded with the change in mind. Anything else is clearly a bug in the library.
(this does not include addon incompatibilities caused by slash commands or messing with other addons data)
Old 09-25-2007   #52
sylvanaar
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuller
Are there more cases for addon conflicts other than:
* Two people trying to alter the same blizzard frame
* Conflicts when upgrading libraries?
Order of event firing side-effects.

Position in hook-chain side-effects.

Modification of global data of any kind (could include the hook-chain too i guess)

@Curney - yeah not really Vista, but the latest thing from MS is virtualization of things like the file system, ie. providing an compatability/abstraction layer which can even give your own private filesytem, so you cant overwrite another application's data files, or for Vista compatibility it will virtualize your use of the program files directory and redirect it to ProgramData, since Program Files now has had its default security settings changed.
Old 09-27-2007   #53
Azethoth
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvanaar
Modification of global data of any kind (could include the hook-chain too i guess)
A sub-species of this is some noob copying say a crucial function from say AutoBar & using it as is with no modification whatsoever in their "mod". Now while the functions are identical all is well & one clobbers the other. Once something changes it becomes load order dependant & subtle to debug.
Azethoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #54
Fin

Send a message via ICQ to Fin Send a message via AIM to Fin Send a message via MSN to Fin Send a message via Yahoo to Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed
Static Memory Usage Is An Invalid Stat Stop
Worrying About It Full Stop
Message Received Stop
Recommend Bed Rest For At Least Two Weeks Stop
Several People Report Similar Symptoms Stop
Early Investigations Suggest Static *Electricity* Possibly Involved Full Stop
Old 10-11-2007   #55
honem

Forgive if I'm wrong but is not a framework different from a library ?

That all the users complaining about memory issues due to multiple frameworks are barking up the wrong tree since pretty much nothing has changed - as long as the libraries stay framework agnostic users will still benefit from code sharing ?

That any preformance issues are due to some code issues that haven't fully hammered out since the frameworks are still in alpha stage ?
honem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #56
OrionShock
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honem
Forgive if I'm wrong but is not a framework different from a library ?
True. but librarys can be dependnt on frameworks.

Quote:
That all the users complaining about memory issues due to multiple frameworks are barking up the wrong tree since pretty much nothing has changed -
well this has been a non issue until recently whith the movement to Agnostic Libs; before everything was InterDependant on Ace2 as the framework. with this new movement the concept is that any addon, regardless of core framework (Cosmsos, Ace2, Ace3, Rock, Ect) will be able to use it.

Granted Some libs cannot be written framework agnostic with out some significant additions to it that normaly a framework would provide; such as an event handler, signaling, callbacks ect, thus the confict of duplicate code, read: Threat-1.0, Parser-4.0, Central Comms Module of any sort.
There is debate as to what is more effecent, a agnostic lib that has all it's needs met with in the core of the lib or to let some of the more common things as mentioned be placed onto a framework.

Also given is that other Libs CAN easily be written framework agnostic, and have no problems (IE Gratuity).

Quote:
...as long as the libraries stay framework agnostic users will still benefit from code sharing ?
users should not care in the first place, Advanced Users might care if they choose to.

Quote:

That any preformance issues are due to some code issues that haven't fully hammered out since the frameworks are still in alpha stage ?
Ace3 is in Alpha, i consider Rock to be a stable Beta. the real problem is the conversion of the libs over to LibStub and agnostic status.

-----
one thing you will find is that as you use more and more addons from the Ace Family SVN, more and more reliance on libs is found and as the goal of ace is fullfilled, to let authors focus on the heart of their addon. As Tek said, focus on the authors making the addons and in turn let the authors worry about the framework. ~ As I say, if something dosn't perform as you want it to, say something to the author or find something else.

"I was there in the beginning... and things were very different back then" --An Echo from a time before.
OrionShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #57
Azethoth
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
AddonA altering AddonB, and AddonB has been upgraded in some way that breaks A
This is my life with cyCircled. If only my suggestion for an official skinning interface for the ace community was not shot down in flames back when I was too noob here to tell whoever it was where to go.

QQ, anyone got some cheese to go with my whine?
Azethoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #58
MoonWitch
Demonic Enforcer

[me=Moon Witch]hands Toadkiller cheese, good cheese too.[/me]

Actually, I would very much like that, a theming layer.
MoonWitch is offline   Reply With Quote