These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > General > General Chat

Old 08-15-2016   #1
vvv444

Default Please fix Curse to properly handle -nolib for manual uploads

Hi,

Currently, Curse does not handle -nolib versions for manually uploaded files but only for files produced by the automatic packager. In case of manual upload Curse Client installs the latest file uploaded no matter what.

I found explanation on this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
No. There are under-the-hood flags for -nolib files which the Client looks at when determining what to install.
Can't you please just fix it so that the system sets these "under-the-hood" flags on manual upload? I believe checking the file name for "-nolib" suffix should be enough.

Best regards,
vvv444
vvv444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #2
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

Default Re: Please fix Curse to properly handle -nolib for manual uploads

Instead, nolib should really be removed as a feature.
Old 08-15-2016   #3
vvv444

Why? Can you please explain?
I do see it good for two reasons:
1. It significantly improves UI load time.
2. For me as a developer, it is much easier to work when I have one copy of library around instead of say 30!
Old 08-15-2016   #4
Nevcairiel
Super Moderator

Developers can take care of their setup manually, users often just screw up their setup with options they don't understand.

The load time argument is mostly bogus, it doesn't have a significant influence as none of the code of the duplicate libraries is executed - assuming those libraries are written properly to bail out early
Old 08-17-2016   #5
Phanx
Seal Cub Clubbing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
The load time argument is mostly bogus, it doesn't have a significant influence as none of the code of the duplicate libraries is executed - assuming those libraries are written properly to bail out early
I haven't tested recently, but I did time this 4-5 years ago, and there was a very noticable difference (several seconds, but I can't find the thread/post to get exact numbers) between otherwise-identical embedded vs nolib setups. I was already running WoW on an SSD at that point; the situation will be even worse for HDD users.

Nowadays I don't bother with a nolib setup, because... well, I don't actually even play now, but at some point I just stopped caring about a few extra seconds at the loading screen, and decided it wasn't worth the effort maintaining a full nolib setup.
Please don't PM me about addon bugs, requests, or code help. Post a comment, ticket, or thread instead!

Last edited by Phanx; 08-17-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Phanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #6
Farmbuyer
Amazing Member

The "time to execute" has never been the savings for nolib. It's the time spent reading in the full contents of the files, parsing them, and generating bytecode. That will happen for every file listed in the toc, unconditionally, regardless if "whoops, nvm, return" is executed a few instructions in.
Old 08-20-2016   #7
vvv444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
Developers can take care of their setup manually, users often just screw up their setup with options they don't understand.

1. Well, as others pointed out, it does influence the load time, since it has nothing to do with execution time. Maybe I even perform a benchmark tests and post some actual times compared...

2. True that developers setup manually, but nolib is very comfortable.

3. Claim "users can screw up" is universal for so much things... I believe that this option is already disabled by default in Curse Client, so I see no problem with this.

4. In any case, it should be either official Curse decision to remove this feature (which would be really bad call IMHO) or keep it. And if the official position is to keep it, the inability to upload this manually is definitely kind of a bug. So how can we ask the developers to tend to it? Is this forum the right place?

Nevcairiel, are you a developer on Curse?