These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007   #1
Moz

Default Rock + Ace3

Im sure many of ppl here know that ckknight is working on his framework project called Rock (ex-Joker) and many of us noticed Ace3 commits.

Im just curious, wont these two duplicate each others fuctionality and work ok together? (well, someone would ask this anyway :P)
Old 09-04-2007   #2
Tuller

Default Re: Rock + Ace3

What's Ace3?
An addon framework with its roots in Ace. Its in early development.

What's Rock?
Another addon framework with its roots in Ace. Its been in development for about month, and soon to be released. (lol svn 'releases')

What's Dongle?
Another addon framework with its roots in Ace. Its been in development for a while now, and has a 1.0 release.

Why make a new framework?
Ace2 has issues :P (What, you thought I avoided Ace2 just for entertainment value?)

Why make two different frameworks?
Differences in opinions on management, what should be in a framework, and of course egos.

Is this a bad thing? My memorys and cpus will be duplicated!
No, not really. If anything, competition will yield better code for all.

So what should I as a user be doing?
Using addons and not giving a damn. Possibly making some popcorn to watch the drama.

So what should I as a developer be doing?
Evaluating your situation. Take a look at your options, and contributing if you feel like it.
Old 09-04-2007   #3
funkydude
Administrator

Tuller would you marry me?
Old 09-04-2007   #4
Moz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydude
Tuller would you marry me?
second
Old 09-04-2007   #5
Mokale

Dibs on coining the Ace3 nickname "tres". It works on so many levels.
Old 09-04-2007   #6
wolftusk

/grabs popcorn
Old 09-06-2007   #7
flarecde
Amazing Member

Oh yay, more confusion. I'm gonna get me some marshmallows to roast over the inevitable flames.
Old 09-06-2007   #8
Aestil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareCDE
Oh yay, more confusion. I'm gonna get me some marshmallows to roast over the inevitable flames.
i dunno, i'm confused.

What is going on? key differences between ace3 and rock?
Old 09-06-2007   #9
Tuller

Ace3 also has a wiki entry now, though it is not as detailed as the Rock entry.

I cannot really say much from a design standpoint, but I feel as if Rock is taking the approach of, "Lets build a better Ace2", and Ace3 is taking the approach of, "Lets take what we've learned from Ace2 and build a better framework"

If there's more insight that each side can contribute about their overall design goals, I'd love to hear it. But please, spare me the bullshit.
Old 09-06-2007   #10
Aestil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuller
Ace3 also has a wiki entry now, though it is not as detailed as the Rock entry.

I cannot really say much from a design standpoint, but I feel as if Rock is taking the approach of, "Lets build a better Ace2", and Ace3 is taking the approach of, "Lets take what we've learned from Ace2 and build a better framework"

If there's more insight that each side can contribute about their overall design goals, I'd love to hear it. But please, spare me the bullshit.
I think alot of the bullshit doesn't really come from the mod/framework author's, but rather uniformed end users. Also, although there may be glaring flaws with Ace2, I think in the overall, many many mods have been developed with the framework, which were substantially better than previous offerings.

Perhaps this was due to the skill of the author's involved, and in spite of, rather than because of the framework. Still though, its hard to deny the overall postive effect I feel its had on the mods I use.

You're right about the Ace3 wiki not being as detailed as Rock's. On the whole though, I understand almost nothing of what is in the Rock's wiki. I don't understand its benifits really, mostly because I don't understand the Ace2 deficiencies.

In this case, its probably not useful for me to know hardcore details about either framework. I just look forward to new, better mods, which will replace the mods I'm using right now, which, admittedly are Ace2 mods for the most part.

I'm still tempted to go to back to bongos. I miss the sticky frames. Much better than BT3's implimentation.

I initially moved away cause of an error, i was getting, and also, not being able to rightclick self cast.

go go better mods.

Closed Thread