These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007   #1
arcaia

Default Rock/Ace3 - Regarding drama and functionality.

Don't let the split of WoWAce private developers interfere with the functionality of our User Interfaces.

I appreciate the work of all the WoWAce developer, but if the split causes distress in both the coding and functionality [also visual splendor] please consider merging branches yet again.

FuBar / CowTip are staples of my UI, and Ace2 is a staple of my entire WoW experience. Let's not split that up.

Bleh.. I'm tired. Rock's configuration menu looks like garbage [IMO] please make it atleast attachable to FuBar.
Old 09-17-2007   #2
Tekkub
Tanuki

Default Re: Rock/Ace3 - Regarding drama and functionality.

Well, uhm, not to sound all drama-ey, but everything you've mentioned are ckk's addons. How exactly does the drama effect you? Just keep using his stuff.
Old 09-17-2007   #3
Tedeum

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

My opinion is I like the config window, particularly having the colour config available without a subwindow.
Old 09-17-2007   #4
megalap

i really like ckk's work, but i also dont like the configurations window. it needs plenty clicks until you reach the right row. its really uncomfortable for me. with dewdrop i find the right position within seconds without penetrating my mousebuttons.
im using pitbull, fubar and cartographer, so im unfortunately bound to at least 2 frameworks
Old 09-17-2007   #5
Tedeum

Menu clicking on pitbull frames does take you to the appropriate submenu.

I tend to config everything in one hit and spend time jumping between multiple menus. Hence not accidently dropping out of dewdrop menus all the time is a bonus imo. If you were constantly changing one or two items I guess dewdrop might be better.
Old 09-17-2007   #6
Industrial
Amazing Member

private developers?
user interfaces?

1. They are OUR interfaces, we kindly share them with YOU, so we have zero obligations to you.
2. Most work is as open as it gets, private my arse

I speak for myself of course, but whats your say in decisions I make in MY hobby?

edit: don't stress and just use what you want. the developers forum is a forum for developers to talk about develop-y stuff.
Old 09-17-2007   #7
Tuller

poop
Old 09-17-2007   #8
Bobbywich

well said

also: lock this
Old 09-17-2007   #9
Mokale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
private developers?
user interfaces?

1. They are OUR interfaces, we kindly share them with YOU, so we have zero obligations to you.

I speak for myself of course, but whats your say in decisions I make in MY hobby?

edit: don't stress and just use what you want. the developers forum is a forum for developers to talk about develop-y stuff.
1. No, your rights are to your code. My interface is indeed mine. Just because you aren't getting paid doesnt mean you aren't obligated. Isn't sharing a crucial aspect of this community?

I'm sure most developers like user feedback so they can enhance their modifications. If it gets you so upset maybe you should re-evaluate why you are here. And I dont think any of the people above use any of your addons.
Old 09-17-2007   #10
lanacan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
private developers?
user interfaces?

1. No, your rights are to your code. My interface is indeed mine. Just because you aren't getting paid doesnt mean you aren't obligated. Isn't sharing a crucial aspect of this community?

I'm sure most developers like user feedback so they can enhance their modifications. If it gets you so upset maybe you should re-evaluate why you are here. And I dont think any of the people above use any of your addons.
Indy is correct there is no obligation to do anything for the user as a developer of something they are sharing with the community for FREE.

If you don't like what a particular author has coded for use, it's your choice to use it or not. They built it for themselves to use first and the community second.

Ever heard of idChat2 authored by Indy. If you haven't that's because it's now called PRAT. When he made idCHat2 he let the community dictate what should be in it and how it worked and it turned into a monstrosity beyond what Indy originally wanted the addon to do.

Now he creates addons that he likes with out letting the community dictate what should and shouldn't be in them. He still listens to and accepts feed back but if it doesn't fit with in the scope he wants he doesn't change it.

After I have made changes and release a version of oUF and got many PMs to add this or that to them I have come to agree with Indy's response of "Go learn LUA and change it yourself" that he says a lot of time to people.

Closed Thread