These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007   #11
JaedxRapture

Default Re: Rock/Ace3 - Regarding drama and functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
private developers?
user interfaces?

1. They are OUR interfaces, we kindly share them with YOU, so we have zero obligations to you.
2. Most work is as open as it gets, private my arse

I speak for myself of course, but whats your say in decisions I make in MY hobby?

edit: don't stress and just use what you want. the developers forum is a forum for developers to talk about develop-y stuff.
1. No, your rights are to your code. My interface is indeed mine. Just because you aren't getting paid doesnt mean you aren't obligated. Isn't sharing a crucial aspect of this community?

I'm sure most developers like user feedback so they can enhance their modifications. If it gets you so upset maybe you should re-evaluate why you are here. And I dont think any of the people above use any of your addons.
Wow. Just wow.

Well man, learn to code and create your own addons. If you really feel these authors who are nice enough to dedicate their time to developing and helping you are somehow addon slaves who owe you as a user everything then you can take it up for yourself and become a slave of your own. Then you'll have absolutely no problems, and you'll even see what it's like for them for a change.
Old 09-17-2007   #12
Mokale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanacan
Quote:
Quote:
private developers?
user interfaces?

1. They are OUR interfaces, we kindly share them with YOU, so we have zero obligations to you.

I speak for myself of course, but whats your say in decisions I make in MY hobby?

edit: don't stress and just use what you want. the developers forum is a forum for developers to talk about develop-y stuff.
1. No, your rights are to your code. My interface is indeed mine. Just because you aren't getting paid doesnt mean you aren't obligated. Isn't sharing a crucial aspect of this community?

I'm sure most developers like user feedback so they can enhance their modifications. If it gets you so upset maybe you should re-evaluate why you are here. And I dont think any of the people above use any of your addons.
Indy is correct there is no obligation to do anything for the user as a developer of something they are sharing with the community for FREE.

If you don't like what a particular author has coded for use, it's your choice to use it or not. They built it for themselves to use first and the community second.

Ever heard of idChat2 authored by Indy. If you haven't that's because it's now called PRAT. When he made idCHat2 he let the community dictate what should be in it and how it worked and it turned into a monstrosity beyond what Indy originally wanted the addon to do.

Now he creates addons that he likes with out letting the community dictate what should and shouldn't be in them. He still listens to and accepts feed back but if it doesn't fit with in the scope he wants he doesn't change it.

After I have made changes and release a version of oUF and got many PMs to add this or that to them I have come to agree with Indy's response of "Go learn LUA and change it yourself" that he says a lot of time to people.

I'll do this again... slower this time so you get my point. In reference to Indy's post:

The interface I use is not his, Industrial and kindness are antonomous, if you make a public release of an addon you are obliged to take into account public opinion of said release. If you have to become inflammatory because of someone's opinion/suggestion regaurding your addon (in this case it isnt even his addon which amounts to trolling) you need to keep your releases private.

And now yours:

I never said an author is obligated to change his code because of user opinion. Nobody did. Everyone here even used words like "my opinion is" and "i like/dont like". Did anyone demand that code be changed?

Of course it's the users choice what to use. The user still has a right to communicate his/her ideas or concerns with the author. The author doesn't have to do anything, however it would be nice not to be flamed in the process.

Yes I know Indy's addons and have used them in the past. I know what Prat is and I couldn't agree with you more about addon development especially in this case. It seems authors can have a problem of knowing when to say "no". Still it is the authors decision, not the community.

It's great that Indy listens. Try looking up his posts and see what that entails. Usually I ignore it and sometimes I even laugh. This time it was completely baseless.

Old 09-17-2007   #13
Mokale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaedxRapture
Quote:
Quote:
private developers?
user interfaces?

Wow. Just wow.

Well man, learn to code and create your own addons. If you really feel these authors who are nice enough to dedicate their time to developing and helping you are somehow addon slaves who owe you as a user everything then you can take it up for yourself and become a slave of your own. Then you'll have absolutely no problems, and you'll even see what it's like for them for a change.
Read the thread. My first post wasn't detailed enough to be read alone. It was in reference to previous posts.
Old 09-17-2007   #14
Tekkub
Tanuki

Quote:
if you make a public release of an addon you are obliged to take into account public opinion of said release
Help me pay my bills and I will have an obligation towards you. Do nothing but download my addon and use it, no obligation.

Most devs put their stuff out to the public to be nice and "give back". Some develop specifically for the public. Both groups tend to LISTEN to the public's feedback, and implement those wishes as they see fit. But in both cases these is ZERO obligation to do anything the public wants.

You're getting free addons out of us and we do listen to feedback, but the minute you start thinking you're obligated to anything, well you start pissing people off.
Old 09-17-2007   #15
ckknight

Um, I'm not sure what's happening. Do I need to give you my address again? Cause, I mean, I didn't get my paycheck last Friday for making mods for you. If you want to make sure that I fulfill all the features you want, you gotta remember to pay me on time.

Note: that was satire, but meant to drive the point across.
Old 09-17-2007   #16
Mokale

Okay... fine... users aren't entitled to express their opinions free of useless ridicule.

We don't really deserve common decency or respect. You do all the work, true.

You aren't obligated to be nice... hell you can even be an ass and troll a thread made to address recent drama.

Things just used to be different here. This place reminds me of the WoW forums more and more these days.

Old 09-17-2007   #17
shadowed2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckknight
Um, I'm not sure what's happening. Do I need to give you my address again? Cause, I mean, I didn't get my paycheck last Friday for making mods for you. If you want to make sure that I fulfill all the features you want, you gotta remember to pay me on time.

Note: that was satire, but meant to drive the point across.
You can only claim satire if you didn't ask for donations everywhere.
Old 09-17-2007   #18
Mikma

Ban OP!
Old 09-17-2007   #19
Industrial
Amazing Member

Okay mokale, my fault. when I posted "interfaces" I meant Interface modifications/Addons. I guess thats not how the OP meant it. Your configuration and modifications of addons is all yours.

I was replying to the OP the way I did because I believe he/she understood some things wrong. I have to add to that that there is no problem of concern to users by this split other then there being two (or more) ways to configure two (or more) addons. It shouldn't even matter. What I'm trying to say is that "what uses what" is a non-issue. You use the addons, we use the frameworks/libraries and our decisions on that should have no effect on your experience. Even if it does it's still our decision - and if you have clear technical reasons and arguments to make about that then join right in, if you don't then.. don't worry man
Old 09-17-2007   #20
funkydude
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikma
Ban him!
How much you paying?