These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007   #1
Goral

Default Suggestion: Rock and Dongle addons forum

I'd like to see Rock and Dongle addon discussions on these forums in their own categories. I mean the authors of these frameworks are former Ace2 framework coders correct? Why not keep everything available in one place? I don't care if Ace is in the framework name or not, it still uses similar design philosophies.
Old 09-18-2007   #2
Cladhaire
Amazing Member

Default Re: Suggestion: Rock and Dongle addons forum

You will absolutely under no circumstances see Dongle discussed on these forums. Dongle is not part of the framework mix. I'm not recruiting authors, I don't want to convince a single person to use my framework.

Addon users should not care one flipping bit what framework they're using. Ace may live by its branding, but the authors that choose to use Dongle know full well that advertising they use Dongle is a bad thing. They understand what that means.

I was offered a forum here, and I refused. We already have a forum, and an IRC channel. There is no reason dongle needs to have any tie to wowace, in the least. Use my addons because they do what you need them to do, not because they're written with a given framework.
Old 09-18-2007   #3
Nickenyfiken

Damn, cladhaire you must have a DongleAlertGnome working on this forum
Old 09-18-2007   #4
Cladhaire
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickenyfiken
Damn, cladhaire you must have a DongleAlertGnome working on this forum
Nah, I read the forums too.. *shrug*
Old 09-18-2007   #5
Parintele

If I may chime in, I believe splitting addons on these forums based on the framework they use is a bad idea. I feel the same attitudes that sparked the whole Ace2 fanboism movement are perpetrated. I see why such a split makes sense from developers point of view, but there are a lot of normal users lurking on these forums and what they see is "Ace2 Addons", "Framework Free/Other Addons", which might possibly split in the future into "Rock Addons", "Ace3 Addons", etc.

There are already too many posts about Ace3/Rock/Dongle, splitting the addons forum into framework-based sections would only raise the count and morph the Ace2 fanbois into Rock fanbois, Ace3 fanbois, etc. Which one may argue it's inevitable, however it would be discouraged (one can only hope).

Having the developers forum split into various frameworks, libraries, etc. makes perfect sense, I just argue that the addons forum should be free of that, and the subsections based on the purpose of addons, like the raid, unit frames, and other sections right now.

If the intention is to draw a line between Ace2 addons and the others, then I'd rather have the word "framework" stripped from the title, in my opinion it only leads to unnecessary questions and interpretations.

I don't mean to undermine the efforts made by admins to present everything in a better format, and I definitely don't want to add to the drama and whine caused by Ace3 vs. Rock, Rock minimap button, and various things authors are "obligated" to do, so please take this as constructive criticism.

Old 09-18-2007   #6
Starinnia

A silly solution that might be too much work for little gain... but here I go.

There are three sections to the forums, General, Addons, and Developer Corner. Maybe what we need is some sort of tagging for the members. If you apply to membership on the forum you are granted access to General and Addons. Then you can apply for Developer access, which as the name suggests gives you access to the Developer Corner.

I am not trying to be elitist in an way here, but I do think that some times people read things in the Dev Corner not understanding completely because they aren't a Dev, and they make assumptions based on that. Limiting access to the Dev Corner would mean that only the developers, who need the info here would have access. It might save us from some of the uninformed fanboy statements.

I dunno.. random thinking between my classes....
Old 09-18-2007   #7
Industrial
Amazing Member

I'd say yay to that - but that means alot of people who are interested can't get to read what they want.

You can't make a clear separation between user and developer, after all alot of users (including me) became developers.
Old 09-18-2007   #8
Ackis
Dry-Code Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
I'd say yay to that - but that means alot of people who are interested can't get to read what they want.

You can't make a clear separation between user and developer, after all alot of users (including me) became developers.
And I'm in the process (God help us all).

while (1) { fork(); }

Old 09-18-2007   #9
shadowed2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial

User = someone who wants an addon to work and doesn't care
Developer = someone who actually knows how an addon works
Old 09-18-2007   #10
OrionShock
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starinnia
There are three sections to the forums, General, Addons, and Developer Corner. Maybe what we need is some sort of tagging for the members. If you apply to membership on the forum you are granted access to General and Addons. Then you can apply for Developer access, which as the name suggests gives you access to the Developer Corner.
how bout a half way point -- same idea but regular users cannot post in the Dev forum. if they are interested they can read first, educate them selfs then open their mouth.

"I was there in the beginning... and things were very different back then" --An Echo from a time before.
Closed Thread