These forums are in read-only mode. Please see this news post for more information.

New forums can be found here

Go Back   WowAce Forums > Addon Chat > Frameworks
Frameworks Framework Discussion

Old 10-17-2007   #1
Azethoth
Amazing Member

Default Who do I have to blow to get dragLink added to AceOptions?

It is currently implemented in waterfall as an object that can receive a drag via the CursorHasItem etc. functions and accepts macros, spells, items, actions. I use it in AutoBar to allow users to specify items with a simple drag & drop without having to know or type in arcane itemIDs or some such nonsense.

It can be used for UI wherever someone needs to make a list of items / spells etc.
Azethoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #2
Tekkub
Tanuki

Default Re: Who do I have to blow to get dragLink added to AceOptions?

Me.

I don't understand the need for it honestly, the default UI works off shift-click for what it sounds like you're doing... actionbars and bag slots are the only things that accept drags (okey and hunter pet unitframes). I'd expect a config UI to work like the macro UI, shift click a spell or a bag item to insert it in the line you are editing. Does shift-click not work with waterfall text fields?
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #3
Azethoth
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
Me.

I don't understand the need for it honestly, the default UI works off shift-click for what it sounds like you're doing... actionbars and bag slots are the only things that accept drags (okey and hunter pet unitframes). I'd expect a config UI to work like the macro UI, shift click a spell or a bag item to insert it in the line you are editing. Does shift-click not work with waterfall text fields?
That sounds real lame. What I want & do not have working yet is in the tree part of the view to have a small icon of the item + its name & you can drag right onto it. Right now this only works on the icon part so you need to open each item individually to drag to it. Shift click to insert the name is a very poor substitute & unacceptably hacky imo. The only thing blizzard uses that for is chat & macros which are text based interfaces. Everything else is drag & drop or modifer - click. Bottom line: I am simply not interrested in lowest common denominator type interfaces.

Now it is ok to say no to this request though, I understand that it would be used by very few mods. But what I need from Ace Console is to not barf on the config I feed it. That part is unacceptable. It is fine to ignore & not display stuff it does not understand but to blow up is retarded. There needs to be a shut up & do your job setting which can be ignored for debug I guess. Or an api so I can feed it a list of stuff to ignore.

As I have posted elsewhere I sure hope that the Ace3 options will be extensible so people can register new types & have them handled even though they are too particular to make it into the "standard" set of option types.

In irc people were going on about how I should make a custom options list just for Console. This is highly stupid. Why should I double my options data just so I can have it show up at all in Console?
Old 10-18-2007   #4
Tekkub
Tanuki

I didn't say no, I just expressed my lack of understanding. You're the one asking for something to be implemented, sell it! I, for one, don't see how drag and drop is more effective than shift-click, and I can hazard a guess that shift click would be simpler to implement.

Sell your shit, don't just get mad cause I don't see the need. Convince us that it's needed!
Old 10-18-2007   #5
OrionShock
Legendary Member

Quote:
Now it is ok to say no to this request though, I understand that it would be used by very few mods. But what I need from Ace Console is to not barf on the config I feed it. That part is unacceptable. It is fine to ignore & not display stuff it does not understand but to blow up is retarded. There needs to be a shut up & do your job setting which can be ignored for debug I guess. Or an api so I can feed it a list of stuff to ignore.
this i think is the main point he's try too sell, and it's actualy rather smart for AC-2.0 to do this.

Consider the following: with the Advent of Niagra and now with Rock's "Addon Preferances" menues, pulling config tables from addons instead of using the method provided by the addon; the Code parses the options tables need to not crash and burn on things that are not specificly designed for that system. We're not asking that other systems accept the methods of other systems, for example AOT dosn't need to support the InLine method that rock has but simply ignore it.

"I was there in the beginning... and things were very different back then" --An Echo from a time before.
OrionShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #6
wobin

Actually, what I think would be useful is a "Select item glowy hand" option, where you toggle the selector on, and it glowyhands you and you click your required item. I had issues with the drag-drop dewdrop menu option in some fubar plugins cause the textbox where I'd need to drop the item disappeared. Going the other way, ie, making the selection possible seems like a useful method.
wobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #7
Tekkub
Tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobin
Actually, what I think would be useful is a "Select item glowy hand" option
That's a neat idea, but I think it'd be harder to implement... hrm... dunno.

They're all interesting ideas.
Old 10-18-2007   #8
Azethoth
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobin
Actually, what I think would be useful is a "Select item glowy hand" option, where you toggle the selector on, and it glowyhands you and you click your required item. I had issues with the drag-drop dewdrop menu option in some fubar plugins cause the textbox where I'd need to drop the item disappeared. Going the other way, ie, making the selection possible seems like a useful method.
Glowy hand would be a usefull suplement but its not exactly easy to discover in the interface. While drag & drop is a standard part of any modern UI, even the Blizzard UI. Blizzard has also recently fixed their drag & drop ui to make senses & to operate without needing to hook anything. You simply check the cursor on drop & retrieve the object from it if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub
I didn't say no, I just expressed my lack of understanding. You're the one asking for something to be implemented, sell it! I, for one, don't see how drag and drop is more effective than shift-click, and I can hazard a guess that shift click would be simpler to implement.

Sell your shit, don't just get mad cause I don't see the need. Convince us that it's needed!
Well the drag & drop is already implemented, unless you are talking about implementing it in AceConsole. There I can definitely see opening the options out to a dragLink (bad name in that case) & shift clicking the link in as your value. Heck if shift-click also works as a shortcut to dragging thats a bonus feature & I will add that in. But it would seem to require a lot more work than just using Blizzards simple does the cursor have stuff on it? / ok so what is on it? interface. The other issue is, ok lets say you "shift click" a value into a text field then parse it. Well now what? It still needs to get dragged & dropped around to rearrange the list. This behaviour just works if you have a dragLink though.

As for selling it I am of 2 minds. On the one hand I need drag & drop since it is easy to explain to users & they have already done it b4 just by playing WoW. On the other hand, like I mentioned this is a lot more specific than say the color option. So seriously I am ok with it not bloating up the core set of options.

Who else could use a dragLink? Well an interface that lets you make custom PT3 sets or something like that. So for instance baggins or other bag sorting mods. Potentially any client mod of PT3 could use it if they let users customize their own sets. Looking to the future a UI like ItemRack could just be a bunch of dragLinks, assuming a layout of that kind could be made (which from the Ace3 discussion on Jirra seems possible if the panel layout is adopted & up to snuff).

So I think a dragLink has potential for some cool uses, the question is if it gets allowed in then what else gets in & where do you draw the line / deal with potentially a large number of new (gui) option elements. I am also surprised that the options are so resistant to change / extension. Perhapos that is because a gui view on them is a recent thing?

Regardless though, a choice needs to be made from the following:
1) Add dragLink for the things Console will look for so it can ignore it instead of crashing on it. Repeat this step for each new gui element added by anyone using Console.
2) Do nothing. Do not add it to the ignore list & force all users that use AceOptions to make specific options tables to coddle AceConsole which is apparently very picky when getting fed an options table. Or dont use AceOptions at all.
3) Modify its behaviour so it can be told not to complain about unkown objects or just plain does not complain. Perhaps this is runtime behaviour & during debug it complains.
4) Who cares about AceConsole-2.0 anyway. Leave the solution as an exercise for the student to get into AceConsole-3.0 or whatever the Rock counterpart is.
5) Do something completely different like a magical glowy hand that gets activated & then sucks in things you click on.

PS: I am not mad. Well not clinically diagnosed as such anyway ;-p
Old 10-18-2007   #9
Tekkub
Tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller
PS: I am not mad. Well not clinically diagnosed as such anyway ;-p
Oh trust me, I know what mad is, and I have the pics of the scratches down my roomie's back to prove it.
Old 10-20-2007   #10
Azethoth
Amazing Member

I have patched AceConsole-2.0.lua to fix this issue on a temporary basis while waiting for a solution. This apparently is not good enough for some members of this community who insist on deleting the patch even though it could not possibly do any harm whatsoever.

I need an answer to this issue please so I can know how to proceed . Meanwhile I need for people to stop deleting my AceConsole-2.0.lua patch.